I have been addicted to codeine for 7 yrs now. I have given them up and gone cold turkey before , it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I was hospitalized 2 yrs ago from an overdose and the doctor said then! " never look a gift horse in the mouth", but I am now in that horrible , deceitful cycle again. I have been wanting to give them up for a couple of months now but was fearful of getting sick.(achy joints, muscles, diareah, sweats, nausea,headaches, sleeplessness, irritability , no energy and no appetite what so ever, even water).My husband was putting into place safety for me (being together at the shops) but this time I took any window of oppertunity to get those tabs.Today he caught me. It was so shameful. I am greatful though as I couldn't tell him but wanted help.I actually couldn't get any at the pharmacy I went to as she said they had run out so when my hubby said he saw me going there I told him I couldn't get any ( of course he couldn't believe me) so I rang the pharmacy and got him to ask if they had any and they said yes!!. I came to the conclusion that there was a note next to my name in the computer saying I have overdosed on them in the past so the pharmacist told me they have none in stock. Without them knowing, they have done me a huge favour. My hubby is so supportive , the amount of chances he had given me is a miracle' ~. I will feel the effect of the withdrawal by this afternoon. I will get through it. My husband bought a packet of the pills just in case I need a couple to assist me in withdrawing but I am going to make him proud and do it myself. Please everyone who reads this, Don't keep doing it to yourself there is only 2 outcomes, To get better or Death. I am one of the lucky ones. Wish me luck!

Hi Sandy, I do want to wish you good luck! I am in my 10th day of cold turkey off of a 10 to 12 percocet a day habit, that I have been dealing with for about 3 years. The first few days are really rough and I would sugget you really plan those days with nothing you have to do. I went back to work after 5 days and have been getting stronger everyday. I find Ensure in the morning gives me energy and I like it because I am not really a breakfast eater. I also try to get a lot of exercise it help the brain to remember how to produce the proper amount of endorphins you need.

Again Good luck!! Believe you are not alone and we can do this!!!

Thankyou you so much Stanley. It really does help knowing I am not alone : ) I am also proud of you and anyone that kicks this evil drug! I run a small business and still feel good today , so I am going to get stock ect organized this morning for the weekend so I can spend the rest of the week getting better.You know, the good thing about me surrendering is that my perception has already changed for the better....Pls let me know how you are getting on as you progress in recovery Stanley ... : )

Sandy glad to here you are doing better! I find it important for me to pick tasks and complete them it just makes me feel better. Work yesterday was a little rough I had a case of what I call "dead Legs" which is bad hard because I have to be on feet and moving constantly at work for 8 straight hours with only restroom breaks. The main thing is I made it and I slep good. I am going to cust back on the Tylenol PM I have using to sleep because that may be why my legs feel sluggish. Sometimes the benedyl in the tylenol will do that to me, but other than that still hanging strong!! You hang in there and keep me posted on your journey and it is a journey!

Stanley, I can't believe it's day 4 for me and I have had no sickness what so ever.... Yesterday my brain was wanting codeine for half of the day but I talked it out and felt so much better... Withdrawal can be challenging mentally as well.. I know I will die if I go back so I will just keep keeping on! :)

Sandy, That's great I know about the mental challenges as well but I just try to keep my mind on other things. My worst times are when I am home alone because I work some dd hours and days which leaves me home alone sometimes. I have now made it two weeks and really don't have the cravings anymore. I am not 100% but I am getting better everyday. I am doing like you just keeping on knowing it will get better!
My shoulder still hurts pretty bad everyday but it is not any worse than when I was on the meds! I just keep pushing thru the pain and live with it. I know someday I will have need surgery in fact to docs want me to do it now but I just don't want to have a shoulder replacement at 51.

Keep on Keeping On!

Morning Stanley, day 6 for me... Whoo hoo. I am so glad to hear that you are also going well. Who knew it would be a battle to stay alive. For us in this life! I know there is a plan for us. one Day At A Time ; ) I hope your shoulder doesn't give you too much trouble. The pain is much easier to live with than an addiction. ~<3

2 weeks for me, loving sobriety..one day at a time ...you still there Stanley?

Today I have acknowledged the gift of sobriety that I have been given and chosen to accept, there is really no other way for me. sitting with nature and within, Sandy xx
Completely drug and alcohol free.. Have put drugg testing into the equation as I need to build the trust back from the people who love me. I believe if you want to be free of addiction you must give up all drugs and for me alcohol is a drug. ( marijuana helps me) I am acknowledged by the people who love me with this fact. Marijuana helps my nevous system so I can eat . Thanks for listening .one day at a time.