After months and months of bladder pain and visits to urologist and even ER for the pain I was in, I was finally diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. I’m currently only taking painkillers as needed and I’m not on any IC specific treatment, but from what I’ve read from other patient’s experiences two medications, Elavil and Elmiron are the ones that are commonly prescribed to  interstitial cystitis patients.

I know Elavil is older generation antidepressant, but is the Elmiron similar medication? Do they both work in a similar way?

Elavil and Emiron are very different medications, but they are both used for managing interstitial cystitis.

Elavil is antidepressant that also has some effectiveness in controlling the pain related to interstitial cystitis, while Emiron is medication used specifically for treating interstitial cystitis, frequent urination or overactive bladder. Elmiron works in a completely different way than Elavil: Elavil affects your brain chemistry to reduce the pain, while Elmiron provides protective coat to the damaged bladder wall.