I'm 17 years old and ever since I was a little kid I have had these ticks that I couldn’t control. I tried controlling them even replacing them with some other movements that I made on purpose but it didn’t work, the ticks didn’t go away. Few days ago I have seen a documentary on the TV about Tourette’s syndrome and how it affects people’s lives. I seem to have many symptoms of Tourette’s myself. Can you give me more information about this condition, is it curable and what’s the outcome of the disease?

Tourettes Syndrome has been long thought to be a behavioral disorder, a mental disease and people weren’t even trying to find a cure for it because it was thought that a simple self control could be a cure for the condition. In the 1960’s new evidence appeared that the Tourettes Syndrome is in fact a neurological, organic, disorder and that it has something to do with the levels of neurotransmitters in the patients brain. Patients with Tourette’s who took a drug haloperidol seemed to have lost the ticks or these ticks were mild. It was later discovered that the Tourettes Syndrome is caused by the disorder in the metabolism of the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin, whose excess caused uncontrollable motoric reactions in the brain. It is thought that the disorder affects nucleus caudatus in the brain, which is responsible for controlling and dimming the sensations from the lower parts of the CNS. If nc. Caudatus is damaged symptoms like ones in the Tourettes Syndrome can appear. There is no known cure for this condition, several medications are in use to help control the ticks but none of them are a permanent cure. This disease is not deadly, doesn’t represent a danger to vital functions of the organism and the symptoms disappear with age. So even if you have Tourette’s you can't die from it. If you have doubts about your ticks it’s the best that you talk to your doctor so he or she can give you an accurate diagnosis.

Can a person display Tourettes Syndrome symptoms and be completely unaware or unconscious that he/she is doing so?

Everybody’s unique. It is usually very young children who don’t notice their tics or find them irrelevant and who don’t have an urge to release them. Also, people with very mild tics may not be aware or may not realize how much they are ticking. However, people around them probably do.

Around 90% of people who have tics have urges to tic but these urges may start to appear three years after the first onset of tics. Depending on the tics (whether it is motor or verbal, or which body part it involved), these urges may be more or less severe. For example, people who blink may have less severe urges to tic.

In some people, the tics wax and wane and if they are very mild, they may go unnoticed!