Hello! I am Mary and I am seventeen. I am very interested in psychology; it is my favorite subject. I am doing my homework at the moment and it is related to mental health disorders. I have problems with classification of mental disorders and I am not sure if a sexual disorder belongs to the group. Is a sexual disorder a type of mental disorder?

Hello! There so many different categories of mental disorder and I understand your problem. Generally, if we consider a mental disorder as a problem (or a group of problems) that influence the life of a person in such a way that they suffer from them we can easily say that sexual disorder is a type of mental disorder. There are many different facets of human behavior and personality that can become disordered, so the list of sexual disorders is rather long. Most people usually don’t like to talk about their sexual problems which are sometimes hidden behind other mental disorders. For example, a person with sexual disorder may suffer anxiety and sexual frustration which may cause insomnia and a person usually comes to his doctor presenting only the complaint of insomnia.