Hi, I am very worried about my mother. She is in her early sixties. Never in her life did she have some kind of serious medical condition. Lately something has been going on with her. She has changed. She is quiet, acts as if she is someone else. Couple of times she was also in doubt of her gender. A friend of mine told me that she might have a borderline personality disorder. Could this condition be the cause of my mom's behavior?

Hi, judging from the symptoms you posted, I can conclude that your friend is probably right. Your mother probably has a borderline personality disorder. This is a devastating mental condition. It also affects people that are living around the effected one. Since it is a mental condition, the causes of borderline personality disorder are complex. There are some believes of possible causes. Genetics (this means that it is inheritable), environmental factors (such as child abuse) and brain abnormalities. The best thing that you can do is to take your mother to the doctor. Tell him about your suspects so that he can do all the necessary tests. This way you will be certain if your mother has borderline personality disorder. However, this condition is treatable. The treatment consists of psychotherapy, medications and hospitalization. Since the treatment is long, it would be good to take your mother to a doctor that has experience in treating this condition.