Anxiety is NOT a mental disorder! Why is it under this heading?

I agree, anxiety itself is not a mental disorder, it is a complex psychological state that every single human being has experienced at one point in life, from mild anxiety before the exam to severe forms that completely take over person's behavior during panic attacks. But, officially, there is a wider term, Anxiety Disorders - you might want to read on it a little, it might get you a new perspective on things and how anxiety affects and plays it's part in so many disorders. It is a  bit of professional classification, but you'll easily see what I'm trying to say. Also, please consider relaxation techniques for anxiety - they have a high success rate.

Hi there,
Anxiety disorder is a disorder that includes panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety disorder, specific phobias, and generalized anxiety disorder. I am not sure if it can or cannot be under mental disorder section but the fact is that it involves some mental issues. In my opinion anxiety can be generalized as mental disorder because this can influence your life in great manner. Why do you think that this is not a mental disorder? If I am not mistaking in anxious people they constantly worry and have fear. This is all caused by their mental state of mind. I hope this cleared few things for you about anxiety.
All the best,
Danella

I suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks, so much so that I could hardly leave the house - but only for a total of more or less six months. It came about as a direct result of an occurrence in my life and as I found my safety again over time, the anxiety left. I shudder when I think back on how anxiety took over and ruled my life. However, I never saw this as a mental disorder. I can compare what I experienced to reactional depression - where a temporary setback or loss can bring on depression but then it will leave as soon as the situation has been resolved. Chronic depression is something completely different though. I'll give you this - where anxiety is linked with OCD etc, it is a mental disorder. In my case however, and in that of many others, I do believe that it is a temporary reaction (physically and mentally) to an event or occurrence that can usually be pinpointed. In this case, it is not a mental disorder. I overcame anxiety with no medication whatsoever, only a total change of my mindset and pure determination. This cannot be achieved in the case of a mental disorder as the brain is not wired correctly.

I wrote my previous comment whilst still in the midst of anxiety - and it was rather upsetting to not only THINK that I was losing my mind, but that I was shoved into the "mental disorder" anxiety to boot. If you have ever suffered from anxiety, long or short term, you know how very frightening this kind of statement can be.

Z