Hi, I am 18 years old, and yesterday I opened my hearth for the first time, and told my girlfriend my thoughts, believing and ambitions. I expected understanding, but I got a preposition to do a personality disorder test. I don’t know what exactly she meant by that, but it didn’t sound good. What is a personality disorder anyway?

Your girlfriend probably wasn’t serious about that, she just wanted to say that you have unordinary thoughts. But it wasn’t a nice thing to say anyway. Personality disorder is actually a mental disorder with rigid patterns of behavior and thought. There are many kinds of personality disorders, such as borderline, paranoid, schizotypal, antisocial, narzissistic, obsessive-compulsive and histrionic. The symptoms are different from one disorder to the other. However, they are most common involved with these areas: cognition, affectivity, interpersonal functioning and impulse control. If you have problems in any of these areas, it could explain why your girlfriend told you that you might have a personality disorder. There is also something like multiple personality disorder, called dissociative identity disorder.