Hello there. My friend told me today that she can very easily identify borderline personality disorder in people. I didn't believe that this is possible, but she told me that she identify this at one our mutual friend. And this guy really has this personality disorder. 

I am now really curios - How can you identify borderline personality disorder? Once you suspect that you are dealing with it, you are going to see your doctor right?

Generally, in those cases, and what are treatment options?

Now I am just being curious but maybe this will help me someday to understand why someone is different than usually..

This is a serious mental disorder. I don't think that a doctor should be the one to diagnose this, but a psychologist should do it. The doctor could only redirect you to go and talk to a psychologist. These people are unstable, this means that they easily change their moods, they can become angry and anxious and this can last from a few hours to up to several days. They have a hard time at having relationships as well. 

Borderline personality disorder is treated with the help of a psychologist (psychotherapy) combined with the use of medications, this is the standard procedure.

Yes, I can see. But she convinced me that a layman can recognize the symptoms and that someone who is not an expert can recognize very easily when someone is having borderline personality disorder. It seems a little bit unreal to me, but ok.

Yes, I am now aware that this is serious condition and that people with this type of condition need to go to visit psychologist, not some classical doctor.

But tell me, what are usual symptoms of it? I mean, I do know a lot of people who are unstable occasionally, but I can't connect it with this disorder. 

Hi there. It really depends because you have some bigger and some smaller types of BPD disorders. Because of this, some BPD symptoms are easier to treat than others and this also will tell you a person who treats a patient. Some fears that you are having and that some other people might leave, intense, unstable relationships or feelings of emptiness are often hardest to change and you need to be aware of this fact. Also, some research shows that treatment is more effective in decreasing anger, suicide attempts and self- harm, as well as helping to improve over-all functioning and social adjustment. Have this on your mind.

Hi guys. My good fined has this type of disorder and trust me, I don't know anyone who is an exert who was able to see that she is dealing with this type of disorder. Sure, people have noticed that something is not OK with her, but she also needed to go to see an expert to find out what she is dealing with. Anyway, he prescribed her treatment - dialectical behavior therapy. According to her words, this treatment focuses on the concept of mindfulness, or paying attention to the present emotion. DBT teaches skills to control intense emotions, reduce self-destructive behavior, manage distress, and improve relationships with others. So I believe that this type of treatment is really amazing. 

Okay, let's see. If you are just observing someone, you are unlikely to notice that this person is suffering from borderline personality disorder. Even if you get the chance to talk to someone suffering from borderline personality disorder, you are still unlikely to notice it because this disorder doesn't have a single physical symptom. You can only notice this in the behavior of this person, like, they would do whatever it takes to avoid real or imagined separation or rejection, they have really unsteady relationships and cannot really commit, and they often have suicidal thoughts and they talk about suicide as well.

I don't think that you are able to notice if someone is suffering from borderline personality disorder. I mean, you can notice that there is something not right about this person but you can't really say that this person is suffering from borderline personality disorder. I am telling you this because my granddad was suffering from this disorder, we all thought of him to be a bit strange and weird but we never really thought that he had any kind of disorder until he went to talk to a psychologist. It is only then for the first time that we found out that he was suffering from borderline personality disorder.

I have to agree with Hamilton on this one. There are a lot of different personality disorders and some of them have a few same symptoms such as mood changes for example. Also, I have this neighbor who I used to talk to a lot when I met him on the street and I heard two days ago that he is in a psychiatric hospital because he is suffering from schizophrenia. These things are not so easy to notice, I tell you, so you really need a professional in order to establish whether or not some person is suffering from a personality disorder.