Hello, folks. My cousin suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder. He has been recently discovered this. He will start with his treatment and I would like to know what the best treatment is for this kind of disorder. What is your opinion? Thank you for all your help. It will mean a lot to me.

Hi, there. Borderline Personality Disorder is a heavy mental condition. It is as hard for patients as it is for their surroundings. The best treatment is psychotherapy. Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is specially made for this disorder. It teaches people how to regulate their emotions and react to stress. It is practiced as individual or group therapy. Medications cannot cure it. But they can help with featured problems such as depression, anxiety and impulsivity. For this purpose, antidepressants, antipsychotic and antianxiety medications are prescribed. I hope I’ve helped with my reply.

I, myself, Have BPD. Most people probably wouldn't agree with this but I would rather take medication rather then go through therapy sessions. The medications I'm on stable me enough so that I can go through-out the day without being completely manic and though on medication I sometimes end up being 'motivated' to try and go through therapy to help it. I know that once I stopped taking my medication I wouldn't be motivated at all and most likely would slack off or stop trying with therapy in general. I know people want to 'cure' mental disorders but in all honesty, even though it's hard for people around us (and yes we ARE aware of this) It's significantly hard on us too. So I would prefer the 'quick fix' with medication but it's better then being forced through therapy.

I honestly prefer therapy. Medications were of no good use to me, they regulated my internal being, but with time, became ineffective and I had to increase the dose over and over again. Various opinions help, pick your choice. Life is possible with borderline, but it's not easy. good luck mate!

Much luck to your cousin! I have several family members with BPD and they are a mixed package with response to therapy. Some are responsive to medication and others are more responsive to talk therapy.

I would recommend checking into DBT therapy and also working with a psychiatrist if possible for medication. This will get a feel for what your cousin is going to work best with . .. ultimately, the ball will be in your cousins' court.

Never give up on this one! There is definitely room for hope, understanding, and treatment. A lot of progress has been made because I can remember when they used to say it couldn't be treated (nowadays DBT has had better results with Borderline Personality).
Good luck!

your cousin weill need an Anti-depressant! Effexor worked for me,for many years. I didn't even know i had it,until 2001. I am now 55. i knew something was wromg. Since,childhood. i heard voices. i thought they were,all directed at me. negatively! I was afraid,in school.I never talked. i wanted,to be home(SAFE!) i still do! ~I have noticed the Effexor isn't working for me like it use to. I did have a ruptured,cerebral,brain aneurysm, at age 33. Which,of course complicated things even further. ~I read Abilify is helpful for Borderline personality Disorder. I will be asking what my Neurologist thinks! Your a good cousin,to care! God Bless!~