OK, so... this is about my partner. He's great, I love him, and we have a good relationship. But at the same time, he's struggled with mental health since we met and obviously before than as well.

I've been trying to encourage him to go to a therapist/psychiatrist for a very long time, but you know how that often goes. He's not willing to do this at the moment. So, I've done the best I can to help him and to try to figure out what his deal is, so I can understand him better. 

Since we've been together, I've suspected ADD, most definitely anxiety without a doubt, and he is also quite depressed t times. Now, I have heard that these things can all indicate an MTHFR mutation. He's also chronically fatigued and suffers from insomnia, which can of course be depressed related but perhaps also due to an MTHFR mutation.

I am not sure what is hype and what is actual research. Is it really true that an MTHFR mutation can be linked to mental health as well as physical health issues?

TIA

So in other words, basically, do you think my partner should get tested for MTHFR?

That's a tough one! I am the only one who feels like information about MTHFR is popping up all over the place now? That's not a strange thing considering it's quite a common gene mutation (it has several forms), but on the other hand, it is also good to keep in mind that just because problems, including, you're right, depression and ADHD, are linked to MTHFR mutations, that doesn't mean you have found your answer. 

The best thing to do is probably for your partner to ask his doctor if MTHFR testing is appropriate for him. Since you say he's not all that interested in looking for answers to his mental health challenges, he may not even be open to that though. 

I honestly don't know what to tell you.

I have MTHR (C667T and A1298C) and I suffer from depression as well. I remember a time from before I became depressed. I used to be happy, extroverted, easygoing, and just generally excited about life. Somewhere around when I was 12 it all changed. I found out about the mutation not too long ago and now I am looking for a methylfolate regimen that can help me fix my symptoms. Antidepressants, I am taking, but I am still not feeling like my old self. I think if I get this right maybe I can feel better again. I hope so. Anyone with serious mental health issues, it's worth asking about MTHFR. 

I don't think the first thing that'd cross my mind if my partner were depressed, anxious, or had signs of ADD, would be that they had an MTHFR mutation. I'd encourage my partner to get therapy to start off with, and only then to explore other possible causes of his challenges. I don't know, that's just me. I think you can find out about MTHFR and many other things fairly cheaply through 23 and me, however, so if he were curious about this, he could have the MTHFR test done through there. 

It is true that MTHFR mutations were linked to mental health issues, but I'm not sure how much is really known about the link yet. 

Anybody who is dealing with serious depression now or in the past, and who experiences other symptoms of an MTHFR gene mutation — such as anemia, muscle cramps, fatigue, skin problems, diarrhea, poor memory, etc — is wise to get tested for MTHFR gene mutations. Your symptoms may vary some depending the type of MTHFR you have, C667T or A1298C, and the treatment is different as well. So it is important to not just assume that you have MTHFR and start taking 5-MTHF, but to figure out exactly what you are dealing with. Many people offer advice on nutrition specifically tailored to their needs with MTHFR mutations and this can help some overcome depression. If there is a solution, why wouldn't you want to know?

I have been reading a lot about this over the last few days. If something can help my partner, we should know about that, right? I definitely believe that depression has a physical component that is often underestimated or ignored. MTHFR offers some insights there, and I am interested in this for that reason. Maybe supplements could help, and allowing the body to function as it naturally should certainly seems preferable to antidepressants.

On the other hand, I am unsure. Some people seem to say that everyone should get tested for MTHFR mutations, especially if they have mental health problems, and others say the tests are practically unnecessary for nearly everyone. So which one is it? I am not sure.

This is sort of a moot point because though I've asked my partner to read up on this as well, he's just not buying it for now. He's not willing to see a doctor of any kind at the moment. That's a whole other topic, though. :)

Guest who posted about having MTHFR and depression, thanks for sharing your story. I hope that you find something that works for you, and knowing that you have the mutation must have been quite a revealing thing for you, though it also sounds like it's just the start of another rabbit hole rather than a solution neatly handed to you.