Hello everyone. I have one doubt. I told you before that I can’t take care of two pets at the same time. I have a dog, and I can’t have cat as well. I don’t know why, but I think that I would not be able to take a good care of both of them, even if I do have big yard and big house. Just now, my friend Catherine, she works in the shelter, called me, and she offered me to take care of one kitty for a while. Her explanation was that this kitty is alone, and that she is depressed. They are pretty much desperate, because they don’t know what to do with her. I see that she needs someone who will entertain her. I don’t know am I good enough for this? I don’t know can I try it? But, I was wondering, is depressed cat more prone to health problems? If I take her from the shelter, I want to know what I am dealing with…

I don’t know what to say, but it would be a nice gesture if you adopt this kitty, even temporary. She obviously needs a home, she needs someone to play with her. There are so many reasons. If you have a yard, I think that you will be able to take care of this cat and your dog as well. Especially because I think that Boo is not aggressive dog at all. I think that depression is mental illness in cat. But, it is health problem as well. That is why this kitty needs a home. To get better, to be healthy. 

Hello.

Well, I’m not a cat expert but I kind of like psychology and I like to read about all the effects that mental health can have on our physical condition.

Animals are pretty much like humans when it comes to this.

Mental state actually affects their immune system. That’s why depression can make cats prone to various health issues.

As soon as the cat starts feeling mentally better, her immune system will increase and she will become more resistant. So you should take her.

The same goes for people. When you’re depressed, you feel physically weak and powerless.

When you are in a good mood, you feel strong. ;)

Hi, guys.

I never knew that cat’s depression can be so serious. So, their mental state is just like ours? When you say it like that, it seems very logical; mental health is having an influence on the physical health. That is something worth remembering.

It would be very nice if you can take it from the shelter. I’m sure you will take good care of her and she won’t be depressed anymore. That way, you will heal her and she will be stronger and healthier. Who knows, maybe you will fall in love with her and keep her forever. :)

To answer your main question, yes it is. Most cats which are lacking proper care or are neglected usually develop depression. Although they act like they don’t care that simply isn’t true. Cats are very sensible beings and they need your utmost love and care. If you love your Boo, find a place in your heart for a new pet, especially when you know what this kitten went through.

Trust me, you will receive unconditional love and this cat will bring you many hours of joy.

As for depression part, I think it will resolve on its own. She just needs walking, petting and proper feeding. It is as simple as that.

Hey. Yes, it is mental issue and it can become really serious health problem if you don’t notice this on time. I don’t have a cat, so maybe I don’t have so much experience, but I know that cats can be depressed more than dogs. Actually, cats can be depressed very often, just like humans :/ I think that it would be nice to adopt this cat, because I am sure that you can help her. She obviously needs a good home and company. Besides, if she stays in this condition for a while now, she can have serious health problems. 

I think that I am pretty much experienced cat owner, so I can really say a lot of things about this. This cat needs home. I totally agree that you can offer her more love, because I know that you have a lot of love for your Boo as well. Those are signs of depressed cats, maybe they are not so often like other symptoms, but they are. And, it is obviously that this cat is depressed. I think that you will take a good care of her, you will need to play with her, give her more love, because this can be serious mental problem. I really do believe that you can handle it. 

I know this woman, Clara, I actually used to rent a room in her apartment. She had a male Siamese cat. I remember that cat was depressed for such a long period of time.
I asked her about it once and she told me that the cat was actually not hers, but her parents’. They both died in few months apart. Nobody wanted to take care of the cat, so she had to take it.
She says that he has been depressed ever since her parents died.
And I remember the cat had all sorts of health problems. She was pretty old though, but Clara thought it was all because he was feeling down for such a long period of time.

I didn’t want to finish the story cause it’s pretty sad, but maybe somebody will find it useful.
Anyway, this cat was so depressed. I remember when Clara goes off to work, I used to bring him in my room so he doesn’t feel lonely, but he didn’t like it. He would immediately go back to this sofa where Clara used to sit.
Sometimes I would come back home from school and I would see him vomiting all around the house.
The wet told us it could be because of stress or sorrow.
He eventually died, neither Clara nor I were there when that happened. It was pretty heart breaking. But he was 16 years old and Clara says he had a nice life.