I am writing for some advice. I have been with my boyfriend, who is 17, for the last 9 months. Over the relationship we have been fine and very happy until the start of 2012. He seems to have developed a split personality - whenever I am in person with him then he is the most wonderful,sweet, caring person, however when I leave he gets snappy and seems like he's someone else. Recently, he has become very aggressive towards me verbally and blaming me for everything - when I know things are not all my fault. Also, he has fits in the middle of the night and gets very stressed about things. I wonder if his stress at the moment is about moving away and going to university but this is really not like him. He comes from a broken family - his mum is young and has depression issues. She requires him to look after her and support her; their relationship seems more that he is the parent and she is the child. His dad is also young but has issues with schizophrenia. I am concerned that he has mental health issues that could be combated by some help and support. If anyone can give me any advice on what to do I would appreciate it. Thank you. Millie 

It sounds like something is definitely going on.

I think this is a time for you to evaluate what you want to do.  Is he going to see someone and get treatment?  If not, do you want to stay with him?  You sound like a mature young lady and if you are in a point in your life where his aggression is something that repels you, that's something to think about.

I would talk to him about his behavior.  Try to have a calm conversation and let him know your concerns and feelings.  If you feel the need for him to get treatment, you can suggest this to him.  If he doesn't want to get treatment and/or his behavior stays the same or gets worse, I would really think about if staying in the relationship is what's best for you.

Thank you for the help - it is really helpful to have another point of view on the situation. I am still confused over what to do but hopefully it will come to me in time. I really care about him and if im honest I think leaving him from his perspective would be the absolute wrong thing to do. I just need to work out what I need to do for myself. Thank you once again for the advice. Millie