I'm a 67 year old woman with a history of depression and anxiety (well controlled by antidepressants). Immediately after hip replacement surgery on December 8, I experienced a multifaceted delerium (or acute confusional state) of five days duration that included a mini manic episode, emotional and behavioral shutting down, intolerance for multiple sources of noise such as several people talking at once and visual and auditory hallucinations. The hospital did not screen for, diagnosis or treat this problem despite the fact that 25% of patients recovering from non-cardiac surgery will have this problem.

When I returned home, my depression deepened and continues with crying spells, lack of energy and motivation, loss of appetite. More disturbing I had a severe panic attack a week ago which has been followed by high levels of generalized anxiety which is relieved only by retreat into passive, nondemanding activities. I'm scheduled to return to work in two weeks which I can do physically but no way can I go back like this. My usual meds and skills are not working at all. Anybody have a similar experience?? Was it situational ie triggered by surgery related events and self resolving or what was needed to help??

I am sitting here with my heart pounding and hardly able to breathe. Please help if you have any ideas.

Thank you,
Barbara Ann

My father had knee replacement in March and has since experienced multiple mental illness symptoms. He has described the extreme sensitivity to sound and mood issues, depression, loss of appetite, manic episodes, paranoid delusions, auditory halucinations. The doctors have no idea and have been experimenting with mood stabilizers and aniti-psychotics. I am curious to find out where you are now in terms of what you learned since December when you posted this. We are desperate.

My 82 year old father in law is experiencing the same problems... Have you found any answers that may help us?

PLEASE HELP ME!! My dad had a hip op and was fine for a week or so but within the last 3 weeks is about to loose his partner due to him becoming aggressive, crying, emotional, ranting. He's been stealing, buying clothes too small for him, antagonising people and being very hurtful in general. I am so worried, his partner is ready to leave and i am worried he will be alone. He's been taking morphine and took 3 valium the other day which resulted in him wondering the beach talking incoherently. He acts fine to us but we have just been told he has been bringing up past issues, about his twin which died at birth may have entered his body during the surgey. He doesn't see how he's turning everyone away from him, people who have known him for 30 years or more. ANYONE PLEASE HELP???

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?? ARE YOU OK - PLEASE READ MY STORY AND SHED SOME LIGHT IF YOU CAN

Hello PLEASE HELP ME!! My dad had a hip op and was fine for a week or so but within the last 3 weeks is about to loose his partner due to him becoming aggressive, crying, emotional, ranting. He's been stealing, buying clothes too small for him, antagonising people and being very hurtful in general. I am so worried, his partner is ready to leave and i am worried he will be alone. He's been taking morphine and took 3 valium the other day which resulted in him wondering the beach talking incoherently. He acts fine to us but we have just been told he has been bringing up past issues, about his twin which died at birth may have entered his body during the surgey. He doesn't see how he's turning everyone away from him, people who have known him for 30 years or more. ANYONE PLEASE HELP???