Good day guys. 

This good friend of mine has problems with his mom ever since she came back from Australia (she left his dad and since than she is really weird and she has a lot of health issues). Anyway, she is depressed and he can't deal with it alone. She refuses any type of help...

But that is not the only problem. She has also chronic physical heart problem and she is aware of it, but she keeps telling that she is OK.

I never have heard that this can happen at the same time. I could swear that it can't. But guess that I am wrong. 

Do you know how common is depression in adults with a chronic physical health problem?

Numbers say that every fifth person having a chronic physical problem is suffering from depression. This isn't so bad since every second person in my country is suffering from some kind of depression. Since these people have chronic physical health problem (which means that they have cancer, diabetes, heart disease or stroke), it is somehow understandable that they could end up suffering from depression. I mean, I've seen less dangerous and some stupid things to be the cause of depression so why wouldn't these things be? 

So it is possible, definitely, and the numbers say that the fifth of all people having a chronic physical problem are suffering from depression.

I agree with Nina, 62. I don't know how you are not familiar with this fact. But I would say that depression is approximately two to three times more common in patients who are diagnosed with a chronic physical health problem than in people who have good physical health and occurs in about 20% of people with a chronic physical health problem. I recently found this fact on the internet and I remember it because it says how actually this common is. Of course, like for every type of depression this one requires intimidate treatment as well. You need to tell him that it is important for her to visit an expert very soon.

I think that every fifth person suffering from depression and dealing with a chronic physical health problem cannot be really considered as something common. If it was, let's say, every third person, I would consider that to be common.

Teenagers are the ones who are most prone to suffer from depression, teenagers and then students I suppose. Chronic physical health problems seem to make people strong so therefore the numbers of these people who are suffering from depression are quite smaller than what would be expected from them to be. I hope that your friend's mom is going to be okay.

I think that people who are suffering from any kind of disorder or are having any health problems are more prone to being depressed than other people are. However, there are many different factors which could contribute to the development of depression, I mean, even if you are suffering from some kind of disorder and you are trying your best to overcome it or to learn how to cope with it at least, you will not even have time to be depressed. Whatever you are suffering from, if you make yourself busy enough, you couldn't possibly end up being stuck with depression.

Guys, I really don't think that this is that common. I am sure that it is not because you can't consider something very common if every 5th or 6th person is having problem with it. Yes, it is possible and yes it can often happen to people with a chronic physical health problems but it is not common.

Also, I think that this issue affect teens more than it affects adults. But generally, you should take your mom to the doctor to see what are the next steps, how this can be cured and controlled. No reason to panic. 

It depends. Those are the researches and I would not agree with it because I know three adults who are depressed and who have chronic physical health problems. So in my case, all of them have it so for me I would say that it is common. Sure, researches are better but I would swear that this is common. Anyway, chronic physical illness increases the risk of depression for sure.

So it is possible and it needs to be checked as soon as possible. Anyway, I am glad that I found that this is not that common. It is really worrying to see how many people suffer from the depression, so I am glad that this is not the case for every adult person. 

Depression is a huge problem nowadays. People are unsatisfied with their lives which leads them to either suffer from anxiety or depression, today's world seems to be in a lot of problems.

I don't think that depression is so common in people who are suffering from a chronic physical problem. These problems usually make these people stronger, especially mentally stronger. It is the other people, those who are "healthy" who are weak and are more prone to suffer from depression. The worst thing is that people aren't seeking any help because they don't think that there is anything wrong with them.