Hi, my friend is 47 years old and he is suffering from arthritis for a several years already. When he last time visited his doctor he prescribed him methotrexate. I know that this medication has many side affects but I would like to know does methotrexate cure arthritis. Thank you very much.

Hi, you are quite right about methotrexate and it is very often used in severe forms of arthritis. Unfortunately it has many side effects but it doesnt cure arthritis. It may slow down or stop process but unlikely that it would cure someone. In cases where is used methotrexate such stoppage may mean a lot too.

I have taken Methotrexate for R/A for 6yrs,I take 8 tablets each Friday in the morning same time week in week out. I take 1 folic acid tablet on the Monday, I also take Nabumatone a pain killer and Leflunomide another arthritic drug,this combination as served me well as for withdrawl symptoms decrease slowly and you may suffer very little withdraw symptoms if any.I may be one of the lucky few but after 24 years and many combinations this seems to be best for me,but who knows it may well suit others it as me for the past 6 years .Good Luck Brian

brian.noble2 wrote:

doy wrote:

Hi, you are quite right about methotrexate and it is very often used in severe forms of arthritis. Unfortunately it has many side effects but it doesnt cure arthritis. It may slow down or stop process but unlikely that it would cure someone. In cases where is used methotrexate
such stoppage may mean a lot too.

I have taken Methotrexate for R/A for 6yrs,I take 8 tablets each Friday in the morning same time week in week out. I take 1 folic acid tablet on the Monday, I also take Nabumatone a pain killer and Leflunomide another arthritic drug,this combination as served me well as for withdrawl symptoms decrease slowly and you may suffer very little withdraw symptoms if any.I may be one of the lucky few but after 24 years and many combinations this seems to be best for me,but who knows it may well suit others it as me for the past 6 years .Good Luck BrianQuote:

I was told about my sed rates being high and was told I had Polymalagia PMR in Feb, 2012 I was given Predesone 20 mg and Methotrexate 4 tablets now up to 8 once a week I take Folic Acid 1grm every day except the evening I take Methotrexate. I am now off Predesone due to me having sugar, I am nearly 70yr. Gee tired of pills.