Hello, folks. My wife has been recently diagnosed RA. I know that there is no cure for this condition, but medications must be taken to prevent complications. However, these medications are strong and I am afraid of their complications. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me something more about this. Thanks.

Hello. You are absolutely right. That is why your wife should follow her rheumatologist’s instructions about taking these medications. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can be very dangerous for ventricular mucosa. Many doctors prescribe NSAIDs with H2 blockers that prevent secretion of stomach acid. Otherwise, you can expect ulcer. Steroids are also medications with many side effects. Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs are also very strong. Methotrexate is one of them and it also belongs to cytotoxic drugs. In any case, discuss all this with the rheumatologist. Good luck!