Hello, guys. My cousin had some allergy. We suspected it was from her jewelry since the allergy appeared on those areas. However, when she got back from the dermatologist’s office, she told us she had Nickel dermatitis. I would like to know whether this is the same as jewelry allergy. Thanks in advance.

Hi to you too. Jewelry allergy is a form of contact dermatitis. Nickel dermatitis appears when nickel-containing metal touches the skin and when a person is sensitive to that. Since nickel-dermatitis is the most common cause of jewelry allergy, you can say that these two entities are the same. Nevertheless, one who has jewelry allergy can develop an allergy that is related to some other metal. Those can be gold or silver. It is good that your friend visited a dermatologist. She will have to take off her nickel-containing jewelry. It is for her own good. Good luck!