Hi, folks. I have been wearing gold jewelry ever since I was a teenager. However, lately I have been experiencing a certain rash on places where I wear it. I am afraid I might be allergic to gold jewelry. I would like to know whether it is possible. What do you think? I would appreciate all your help.

Hello. I think that allergic to gold jewelry is not so common. However, it is questionable how much your jewelry is pure gold. Perhaps, it has some additions like copper, nickel or zinc. I suggest you to take off your jewelry and see what will happen. If allergy disappears, it can mean that your allergy is caused by your jewelry. You should know that your allergy won’t disappear as soon as you take of your jewelry. It can be present for a certain period more. I suggest you to visit a doctor as well. I hope I’ve helped.

If you have been wearing gold jewelry ever since when you was a teenager.So I think may be it is not pure gold mix with any other metal.

I'm allergic to fake jewelries,  I got rashes on my neck and its itchy when I wear one, thats why I knew already if its fake or not.
I had a necklace given to me by a friend but there's no mark on it like 18k  only trademark  at the end part of the necklace hang a small shape letter D with a mark " Dior" on it, and at the center an oval shape with a mark- Dior 00001947 new look. I always wear it,im acidic by the way,but no discoloration,fadeness,rust and I got no rashes.

- What do you think? is it gold? I would appreciate your comments

It is possible to be allergic to gold. I just got back from having a patch test for allergens from the dermatologist. I am severly allergic to gold. The doctor said any time she has seen a bad allergy to gold is on people with gold dental work. I have a gold cap. Also, nickel is in a lot of jewelry, even gold. It is a more common allergy. I would suggest getting a patch test done to see which allergy you have, or just a sensitivity. When done you will get a paper on each thing you are allergic to and how to avoid it or what you can do. I hope this helps

allergen tests are not covered by Ins. companies, theses test could go as high as 3500 hundred dollars, I wanted my husband to wear his wedding band, so a jewler said a special coating could be put on it, and any other jewery,it last about two years. HE WEARS HIS RING!!!!!

It's unlikely you are allergic to gold.  But any gold less than 24kt is mixed with other metals.  Jewlery gold is always less than 24kt because pure gold is too soft.

Different batches of gold may be mixed with different metals to strengthen/stiffen them - nickel is commonly the cause of allergies.  Also a nickel allergy can start later in life (like you have a life time exposure tolerance, before that you will never show any allergic response, after that point you will always show an allergic response.

If you have a favourite ring, you may be able to get a good jeweller to reset the ring in nickel free gold.

yes I just went to an allergist and they did all kinds of tests on me.. I  am horribly allergic to gold... So yes its very possible.. U need to go to an allergist.. 

IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE ALLERGIC TO GOLD, I JUS BEGAN TO BREAK OUT INTO RASHES ON MY NECK, I HAVE  14k gold over silver 18 inch chain, IT SUCKS DEARLY, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES THE SKIN TO RASH....

I think that the ring might of been plated in gold. The gold wore down to expose the copper or whatever metal might of been used.

After a persistent rash on my face and neck, my dermatologist gave me the patch test. Apparently I am highly allergic to gold. I wear gold jewelry, including my wedding ring, so this wasn't the happiest best. Yes, you can certainly be allergic to gold. Ask your doctor to give you the patch test.

This just happened to me. I'm 61 years old and have been wearing gold since high school but recently started breaking out in rashes by my eyes shoulders arms and especially my scalp. My dermatologist thought it is probably my hair coloring product but did the patch test and sorry to say it's gold that I'm allergic to. I just had the readings yesterday so off with the gold and I'll see what happens.

Hey this gold is most likely fake Dior is known for making costume jewelry (fake gold ) I would still be proud about the chain ! I'm sure it's very nice

Hello there,.i am allergic to gold jewellery.even if I wear simple earring or chain, my skin starts irritating and become reddish everywhere. So I stopped using them. Now I m ok without them.

Hello I have had a persistent rash on my face for over a year. I found out that I am highly allergic to gold as well, but I stopped wearing all jewelry. I just noticed today that a pair seeing glasses has a "gold" Tom Ford "T" on it. I'm wondering if that is causing my problem. I have been eliminated things left and right to try to find out the cause of my rash and am getting to my wits end!