Hi! I have a question. A little background story to kinda start things off; When I was little, maybe a year old or so, my mom took me to get my ears pierced. We went to a Piercing Pagoda store here in the US and though she took great care of my ears, they refused to heal. They were red, had discharge and so forth. She took the earrings out and my ears healed up fine and there was no issues. She decided to try again a few months down the line, this time with 14k gold earrings. Same thing happened. Flash-forward to today. I'm now 28 and wanting to go get my ears pierced. I am able to wear costume/cheap jewelry just fine. The majority of my jewelry comes from Claire's, Wet Seal, rue 21 and even some random Asian stores. I can wear bracelets, necklaces, rings, clip on earrings, magnetic earrings and I have no issues, even if they have nickel. Was my reaction to the earrings when I was younger an allergic reaction that I've grown out of? Was it even an allergic reaction or was it caused by people not knowing what they were doing? Do you think it's possible for me to be able to get my ears pierced or will it just end up like it did when I was younger? Thanks for any and all help you can give me

Hello, taketii.  I believe you may have outgrown your nickel allergy!  I had the same thing happen to me.  I was in junior high when I had my ear pierced.  My ears were o.k. until I had the starter earrings taken out after 8 weeks.  I started wearing other types of earrings, but my ear lobes would be red and oozing serous drainage, and hurt so badly.  I couldn't wear earrings, especially the cheap ones.  I eventually quit wearing earrings because my ear lobes would just itch like crazy.  I tried putting earrings in years later and found that I didn't have the bad reaction I did as a teen.  Now I can wear pretty much everything, but I am now allergic to bandaids.  lol.  Our bodies are a mystery!

Has anyone else had outgrown an allergy of some sort?

After writing this and doing a bit more research, I decided to get my ears pierced. It's been four weeks and I haven't had any issues at all. No infections, no swelling, no discharge; nothing. I went to a reputable tattoo parlor and had my ears pierced by the piercer there. They used a needle and gave me great aftercare instructions. I'm not sure if what I was experiencing before was an issue with method used to pierce my ears or the earring used. I found out that 14k gold earrings are very porous and that can slow down the healing of piercings. Also, turning the jewelry or messing with it in general can cause slow healing. That said, thanks for your reply and I encourage those who are unsure to do their research!

I had my ears pierced originally when I was 10, and had tons of problems with my ears always being infected. I tried for years to wear earrings but finally gave up. Then I got them re-pierced when I was 21. At that time I had problems only if I wore the metal backings, so I started wearing the plastic backings instead. Fast forward years later, I am now almost 40, and I can wear any earrings, although I haven't experimented with super cheap-looking earrings. I get most of my earrings now from old navy, and some are silver and others aren't. Anyway, the point is, I am able to wear the earrings now, with the regular metal backings, with no problems. in fact for my 40th birthday in a couple weeks, I am going to get my ears double pierced and I'm very excited. I believe that I totally outgrew my allergy to nickel or whatever it was.

I first got my ears peirced when I was like 5. I eventually found out I was allergic I am now 17 do you think I've grown out