I must know what kind of metal allergies it is humanly possible to have. I have looked everywhere for the answers. Most everything just says you can be allergic to nickel and most gold has some amount of nickel. But is it possible to be allergic to yellow gold but not white gold? Can you be allergic to surgical steel or titanium? My mother-in-law swears up and down she is allregic to everything except gold and silver. Apparently my step-daughter has inherited this allergy and can't where anything except the best! Inquiring minds must know what metal earings and jewelery can a person be allergic too? (And can someone PLEASE tell my mother-in-law you can't be allergic to everything!..I hope!!)

I just stumbled across your post, and I have to say that I too am allergic to the whole gambit of metals (gold, silver too). As far as medical advise, I have been told that it is in my head a bunch of times, there was one time that I was told that it was my tastebuds, and the way my skin reacts to contact... even though if I stay away from steel/iron/nickel etc, i dont react. It is hard to deal with, but I dont have to drop 500 bucks on nice watches, and dont need to shell out for a wedding band for myself!

Why is it so difficult to get straight answers from the internet. I need to know where to find earrings for children with metal allergies. Is there a company I can buy them from? Most jewlery stores cannot tell you if the earrings only contain gold or what other metal they are mixed with. Should I buy white gold, or platinum? My daughter really wants to wear earrings. I know there is a mother out there that has gone through what I am going through? Can someone help me please?

I am allergic to all metals. I had a friend make me some earrings from nylon or plastic hooks and posts. They work great and with a hot glue gun you can create your own from buttons, charms even foam shapes which you can find at almost any craft store. However, finding the main componets for them is proving to be hard. My freind past away before I could get the web site for the parts needed.

I am allergic to various metals. I always have been, as is my mother and now my granddaughter.

Certain doorknobs cause my hands to itch crazily - certain utensils can cause an itch, buttons on clothes can make my skin break out in a horrible rash, and jewelery, I find the safest is white gold for me.
yellow gold, gold plated, or silver will make me break out in a rash, and if earrings, will make my throat swell as well.

Having tested what I can and cannot touch, I have learned what to stay away from.

When purchasing jewelery, I find it best to try on the product for at least ten minutes --give your skin time to react.

You can go to most any earring store in your mall and by nylon ear protectors. They slip over the post or the wire on your earrings and will not irritate your ears.

I can wear necklaces, bracelets, rings and my belly ring with no irritation at all. Just an occasional discoloration of the skin which i also get periodically from the metal on my jeans. Earrings is a different story! Since i was abt 10yrs old if the earrings are not "real" it's a guarantee that within 5 - 10 min after putting them in my ears will begin to feel hot, then get red, itch like crazy and finally they start to swell. Abt. 98% of the people that I have asked about my reactions have all said the same thing. The problem is nickel. The ears will react like i described from the post actually going thru the skin....Plain, annoying discolorations due to metal exposure from jeans or other types of jewelry is nothing more than your body reacting to the Nickel. They do sell Nickle-Free earrings tho. There is a little weird but cool trick you can do that will eliminate the ears reaction to "unreal" earrings. Get clear fingernail polish and coat the post really good with it, let dry and WA-LA you can wear the earring with no problem. XD

Hi there, I can tell you that if you are suffering from these allergies that one of the best ways to look good without looking bad is plastics. A lot of plastics are very heavy and look very natural if it's got a metal paint on it and it doesn't look bad. Sometimes you have to search to find something like that but it's not very hard to find. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Hi there, I don't know if this will help but there are some materials that look like metal , one is niobium and one is , surgical steel . Niobium earrings are hard to find or parts to make them . I make my own jewelry and found the hooks to order for niobium and Spools to make the earrings . I found the wire to make the niobium earrings when I googled surgical steel earrings. I am making some earrings for someone who has allergies too. My bead store said that depending on how severe the allergy is sometimes some can get away with just having the special hypo-allergetic hooks. You can order niobium hooks online. ;-)

I m also allergic to all metals even gold and silver also. I want to know the solution of this problem. I had asked to my family doctor about this problem but he is unable to help me.

Hey, folks. My brother is a piercing apprentice and this is what he told me about changing my earrings:

Quote:

Since they're still pretty new, you should probably use jewelry that is titanium, glass (pyrex or quartz) or gold for best results; I always thought implant grade stainless was good but apparently its not the best.

Now, that isn't exactly advice on a metal allergy, but it was advice on how to avoid irritation in new ear piercings and it might help you. I have seen some fabulous glass earrings at WalMart, of all places (be careful about getting cheap glass, though, since it there are some glass compounds that are porous and can hold bacteria that will cause infection). I would try to look for these, if I were you. He says that nickel will make just about everyone react at one time or another, just because that's the nature of nickel. There are also sites on the internet that can help, but if you want good advice from a professional, look up a piercer who is a member of the Association of Professional Piercers in your area. To be a member of this association, there is an extensive professional certification requirement and these people should be able to help answer your questions.

Is it possible to just have a mild allergy to nickel? That's what my doctor said I was allergic to several years ago. I started getting red blisters/sores from wearing my watch. It only affects me when I've had contact with the metal for several hours. It's worse on hot days when I sweat. Same thing happens when I wear earrings.

I just read some of your posts, and my 13 year old daughter has the same problem. I think she inherited this from my grandmother who swore she was allergic to anything other than 14K gold. So far we have had some luck with Nyobium (SP?) and surgical steel earring hooks. Luckily my daughter likes to make jewelry, so we can buy the earring hooks at the local bead store (who also showed her how to put the earrings together), and she can create earrings to go with every outfit for a FRACTION of what it would cost to buy a whole lot of funky, trendy, teen friendly earrings in 14K. (I think the wires are about $2 a pair, and then whatever the beads cost) Hope this helps!

The two most common metals people are allergic two are nickel and chromium. Both are in stainless steel, but most people can wear it with no problem. White gold also contains both these metals. You can't use a nickel coin to tell if you have a nickel allergy. There isn't enough nickel in it. If you are allergic to nickel earings, you would get contact dermatitis.

I REACT TO MANY METALS ,EVEN INTrA UTERINE DEVICE AND CANNOT USE EARRINGS ,SUPER OR CHEAP QUALITY FOR MORE THAN 8 HOURS.
can anyone out there help?