Please, someone help me I have got serious sunburn on face-ouch! Is there any instant treatment for sunburn on face or some home made remedy whatever , I am practically burning my cheeks and my nose are practically grilled and this sunburn on face has made me reddish like a lobster and it hurts a lot. Please, what do I do now with this?

I can imagine how you must be feeling now with that sunburn on face-I remember that pain and it felt like whole my body was falling apart and I remember I have tried first with some products that are made just for this sunburn on face condition but it haven't helped me much. So I decided to do what my mom advised me-I applied first ice cold whole milk-it instantly cools your sunburned face, try to apply it with some cotton ball and than wash your face with that milk just like you do with water when awaking up and after this apply a little of the after shave cream and you will feel instant relief. I don't know how serious your facial sunburn is but if your eyes and lips are affected try also with cold tea begs.

Dear Dr. Cates,
My 13-year-old daughter has blistered sunburn on her face. What should we do? Will there be any scarring, and if so, is there anything we can do to prevent it?

— Jessnjuli in Indianapolis, Indiana
ANSWER
April 18, 2002
Dear Jessnjuli,
I'm sorry to hear that your daughter has such severe sunburn. The blisters make this a second-degree burn. Since her face is affected, you should take her to be seen by her healthcare provider because if these burns get infected or irritated (e.g., by rubbing) they may become third-degree burns that do not heal well and can leave scars.

Don't apply any ointments, butter, grease, toothpaste, sprays, oils, powders (e.g., baking soda), home remedies, or anything else to a second or third degree burn unless you are told to do so by her provider. Although these may seem soothing, they can increase the risk of infection and lead to further skin injury because they are hard to remove.

If the blisters are intact, don't break them because they help protect the delicate skin underneath and prevent infection.

Since these burns may be very painful, you may be able to make her more comfortable with pain medication such as acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol) or ibuprofen (e.g., Motrin or Advil). However, don't use over-the-counter sprays that contain benzocaine to help numb sunburn pain because they can cause allergic reactions and irritate the skin.

— by Lynn Cates, M.D., F.A.A.P.