I've got sun damage as well as lines on my cleavage that I'd really like to get rid of. Now I've read that TCA peels can give really good results and I've even read that people do them at home rather than at the salon, some claiming that DIY-ing the TCA gives even better results than having it done professionally. For me, it's more about saving time and money. BUT I am worried about doing this myself because I know things can go wrong as well, and that's something I really, really don't want.

My question is if anyone can recommend peels and how to do them, with instructions for better results that will leave my skin looking youthful and healthy rather than irritated and damaged by the peels. 

Don't worry - I'm not going to do this unless I am absolutely sure that I know what I am doing. That is why I am asking about it here. 

I did browse some other beauty forums where women were talking about doing them but they seemed very experienced and I'm completely new to doing this myself. They talk about things I just don't understand yet and I'd like it if someone could lay this out for me start to finish. 

Thanks!

DIY TCA peels are NOT for the uninitiated, and I am saying that as someone who does them. If you want to do TCA body peels at home, I can't stress the importance of doing your research enough. Go online and read, read, read everything you can. When you are ready (and only if you are ready) start with a one layer 8 % peel, buy the peel from a trustworthy seller, and follow the instructions to the letter.

That's all I'll say for now. Please feel free to ask any questions you have and I will do my best to answer them. If in doubt, do not do it yourself.

Makeupartistschoice is what a lot of the ladies on the skin forums recommend as a place to buy your TCA peels. They recommend you start with a 12.5% peel if you are new to doing TCA peels at home, saying that you can move on to either 15 % or 18 % a little later on, as your skin starts tolerating the 12.5 % very well. They make it pretty clear that the stronger formulations are not for those who have never done the peels before.

I am currently considering the Obagi Blue Peel 12.5 %.They also offer a very good description of what to do before you are ready for the peel, such as using alpha hydroxy for a week prior to prime the skin, that kind of thing.

Hi Faye

Using a TCA peel on your body is quite similar to using a TCA peel on your face, but not exactly the same.

1. Cleanse the whole body, especially the parts you are going to use the peel on.
2. Wipe the area you will use the peel on down with alcohol and leave it to dry. Do not skip this step if you do not want an infection, and you don't.
3. Apply first layer, leave for 10 minutes, apply second layer, leave for 10 minutes.
4. If your skin is displaying frosting stop adding layers. If not, continue to three or four layers.
5. Rinse in accordance with the instructions.

Sacha

I do have a recommendation - don't have a whole body peel, just do it bit by bit, and for God's sake get it done by a professional. Have you seen how many people run into issues after doing body and face peels by themselves? You don't want to be back here after doing a whole body TCA peel wondering whether you need to visit the burns unit of your local hospital or whether being in agony with burns is normal, do you? This is a question of don't try this at home. Honestly.

OK, I'll try. Doing a body peel is pretty involved, and I hope you will do your own research as well, but I'll try to point you in the right direction.

* Are you using any prescription products on your skin? Make sure to quit using them FIVE DAYS before doing your TCA peel. Do not use them two weeks after the peel either.
* To prep, you could use an alpha hydroxy product, but not the first time you do a peel. Also use a soap free cleanser to clean your skin up to a week before your peel.
* ALWAYS start off using the lowest strength, which for TCA is 8%. If you disregard this advice, you may end up with burns.
*SPOT TEST your peel on a small part of your body, leaving it on for one to two minutes. This ensures you know how your skin reacts. If you have a bad reaction, do not do the peel anywhere else.
*Immediately before the peel, wash your skin with a soap free cleanser. Use the prep solution which is almost always provided if you buy a kit. Leave the peel on for one to two minutes. This is very important. This is your first time and you do not know what to expect, so do not start with layers immediately and do not leave it on too long.
*Your skin WILL be red after the peel. That is normal. Use Aquafor to care for your skin.

I hope that will help you some, but as I said make sure you do your own research as well.

It is possible to have a full chemical peel on your whole body, but only under the condition that you only treat up to 25 percent of your body at a time. Proceed with the next session only when your body has fully healed from the previous peel. You should have a weaker peel on the sensitive areas of your body, that is on the chest area, your back and your arms than you would use for your face. The type of peel you should get also depends on your skin type. Fairer skins can tolerate stronger peels. I would not use a TCA peel on my chest area myself, and most definitely not at home!