I have started with my period few years ago. Since that moment, I wanted to read as much about woman bleeding as I could. In one article, I found some women experienced large blood clots during menstruation. I want to hear if that is possible, and what does it means. I would like to hear what you could tell me about this topic.

I have to tell you that menstrual blood normally clots in the uterus and these clots dissolve before passing to the vagina. Normally, the clots will pass through the cervical opening to the vagina without dissolving. If a tampon is worn, the clots either will adhere to or be absorbed by the tampon. Off course, it should be soon removed, when the tampon is withdrawn. In my case, I was always taught that large blood clots that occur during menstruation are pieces of the uterine lining, not actually clotted blood. I found an explanation that since they are pieces of tissue they cannot dissolve, and will always be present in menstrual flow. This was a concern for me once, because during that time my several periods have not contained any clots. When I asked my gynecologist what he thinks about large blood clots during menstruation, he told me that periods are different for every woman. That is why I think you have to know that at the beginning, girl’s body need time to regulate itself to these changes. Once those large blood clots happen to you, it would be smart to report it to your doctor.