Hello! I am 25 year-old female. I am healthy and haven’t had any serious health problems before. However, for the last three months I have been suffering from heavy and prolonged periods with big blood clots. I haven’t had these before. MY periods lasted for 6 to 7 days and I would get then regularly with little pain. Could these prolonged periods indicate that something is wrong? Thank you!

Hi! If it were just clotting then it wouldn’t mean anything as blood cloths are normal part of menstruation. They are just a part of endometrial shedding, nothing else. However, your problems, it seems to me, indicate some sort of change. You are 25, maybe you are experiencing some hormonal change as your body may be giving you signs you are ready for pregnancy. But, of course it could be something more serious! If this is like really excessive amounts of blood and if they persist, they could lead to thinning of the blood (anaemia), which can cause tiredness, shortness of breath, faintness, and even angina. If this excessive bleeding continues, you should visit a gynecologist.

it also depends on the blood clots too, and if your bleeding more then usealand it get worse.

im 51 my periods have always been irregual . they were heavy and i had cramps babley. normaly they would last a week. i didnt have one last month so i thought maybe finaly i was starting menapause. but lo and behold i started this month. heaverier than ever and with blood clots. ive gone throgh 60 pads or more in less than a week . i can feel the gush to. im afraid theres something really wrong. my great grandmother,my grangma,mycousin and my aunt have all had hesterrectomies. i feel like im headed in that direction. please can uou give me some answers?

I know how you feel, I've had my period since I was 9 years old I'm now 34 and I bleed like a race horse. My period stays on for 8 or 9 days and I have the worst blood clots yet doctors seem to think there isn't anything wrong. I was told once I have a child my period would become short well that isn't the case and now I have even worse cramps which I didn't think was possible. I pop pills all day and my left leg hurts so bad when I'm menstruating I have to rub it really hard and it hurts from the hip all the way to the tip of my toes. I'm so sick of this and can't wait for menopause but I didn't think women still had their periods in their 50's, I think I'll end up being one of those women. I'm so upset about it I feel like crying now. I wish you all the best because believe me I know how you feel.

I am 34 mother of 5 who decided to get Essure done, I did so this year Feb. 20th and every since I've be bleeding heavy even with clots!!! My dr gave me meds to regulate and even took birth control pills 3 pills a day for 7 days still no luck, I just saw him the other day and he is not only giving me the same meds all over again but gave me antibiotics just in case there is an infection. last night I woke up having bad cramps I went to the bathroom and the clots were coming out, over 6 ones and they are bigger then a quarter!!! and then I was so sweaty after that I was very nausea and really tried not to vomit but I did!!! Now all day I am having even more cramps and lots of clots. I am very tried and not sure what is going on.

Ugh. I know exactly what everyone is talking about! I have been on my period now for 2 weeks, the first week was okay...then into the second week it was like someone had just opened the flood gates! o.O

It has been a week now, since the flooding started.. and this morning I woke up early and could barely make it to the bathroom because I HUGE blood clot was coming out.

I am just totally exhausted from it all and I will be so glad when its over!!

Hey, I am a 23 yr old female who has had no previous medical problems 'till May 2nd, 2008. I have been bleeding non stop since and it doesn't seem to be letting up either. I am so scared and I don't know whats going on. Ovarian cancer runs in the women in my family and I am really scared. I am experiencing blood cloting and tissue but I have no pain, no discomfort, and no abnormal discharge of any kind I'm just bleeding.

Im 17 and I started my period when I was 12. I've never had a regular period, all of my periods last for months and months. The first time I started, it lasted about 2 and a half months and I was just 12, so my mom took me to the doctors and I was put on birth control to "regulate my hormones" in which it did everything but that! I gained weight, felt nasueated, and had bigger blood clots then ever! So I finally got off of the pill and decided to just wing it ya know? But the periods kept getting longer and longer to the point that I pretty much went through about 40+ boxes of pads in a month, it was really abnormal for a 12 yr old girl. Once I turned 15 they started to slow and lighten up some but right after my 16th birthday I found out why. I had a HUGE blood clot the size of a baby come out of me, like no joke and my mom thought I had a miscarriage but it wasn't even that at all. The pain that my periods give me is excruciating and it feels like someones taking a knife and stabbing your insides over and over. Now, at age 17 my periods are still abnormal and I've done everything I possibly can to control it. The blood clots are still huge, some the size of a fist and others quater size, and it seems like now it pretty much runs my life. Because of this, I'm extremely anemic and dizzy all the time, it takes my energy, and my physical stamina it controls me. If anybody knows anything I could do, please tell me I'm tired of the cost of this, the pain, the time it takes out of my work schedule, and the way that it feels when they're coming out. I'm honestly begging you. I'm still a virgin, why is this happening to me?

Im 17 and Ive had my period since I was 12.
They have always been rather regular, heavy but not terrible and lasted for around 5-6 days.
This month I was two weeks early. Im extremely heavy with many more clotts. I'm now onto the 7th day and theres no sign of it letting up.
I'm quite concerned that something serious may be wrong.
My mam had a hysterectimy after giving birth to me and she had always had terrible periods.
Help =[

I have the same problem I have been on my period for 10days and it is so heavy and is clotting horribly!

I have to wear a super plus tampon and a maximum protection maxi pad. It is the worst it is affecting my daily life physically and sexually.

All my doctor is going to do is put me on pills (birth control pills and hormones) or do a DNC.

Did anyone get a solution? Has anything worked....?

This happened to me last year and I had my period for over a year! It stopped 1month after my wedding day (needless to say my husband has been great a support system!)

I am a 25 year mother of a 3yr old, I have had heavy periods and big clots since I was a teenager, my periods got a little better after I had my child then about a year or so got worse, I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts about 1yr 1/2 ago, I was put on a couple diffrent pills, I am now on seasonique-about 13mnths now- this has helped pain, heaviness, and I don't have as many clots as before-still kinda big and you can feel them when coming out, ugh nasty-but I do notice on my period that when I'm not very active I have more clots, so I would suggest trying to do a lil walking and not laying around and see if that helps the clots, or try the pill...

Hey sorry to hear about your troubles, but I did and still are experiencing a lot of pain from my periods. I started when I was nine(now 25) and they say the early you start the more painful it is and the longer you have your periods before menopause. Sucks but true. But my advice to you is to get checked for endometriosis. That is what I did and I went through 3 Dr.'s and 1 and a half years later with a lot of demanding I finally got the exploratory surgery done and they discovered that I did have endometriosis plus they also discovered a few more things while they were inside me.

I have been suffering with similar conditions as many of you (heavy bleeding and clotting) daily for the past 3 months. It began with mild cramps. Now, the clotting is becoming more frequent and larger. My health insurance doesn't start until next week. I hope my dr diagnoses me correctly. I'm sexually active and this has prevented me from having sex with my husband. We used to have sex almost daily (except when I was on my period). Now, I had sex twice in the past 3 months. My mom thinks that I'm going through "the change." I'm 42 and started my period when I was 9.

Hi, i'm 24 and have two children aged 4 &5, before having my second child my periods were pretty regular and average, but after I had my son my periods became alot heavier and alot more painful, the doctors prescribed me pills one lot for the pain and another to clot the blood so that blood loss wasn't so heavy. I seemed to gain alot of weight between then and now, and my periods became increasingly infrequent, 8 months inbetween at the worst, but when I did have a period it would be prolonged and extremely heavy, like a horror film! even using the biggest tampons the blood would literally gush out, especially if i'd been sleeping, when i stood up it would just gush down my leg and leave huge puddles on the floor, when i removed the tampon huge blood clots would follow! Also I hadn't been able to get pregnant, which I put down to lack of menstruation and weight gain, but I became more worried, and finally plucked up the courage to go back to the docs, the did blood tests and my hormone levels werent right, i went for a scan at the hospital and the results came back that I have pcos, which can cause absent periods etc. they said the key is to try and lose weight (i've been trying for 5 years!!) it's an ongoing battle because pcos causes weight gain! i've been on my newest diet for 3 weeks, and after not having a period for 8 months prior to visiting the doctors, coincidentally, the day after i started my diet i came on, and have been on for 3 weeks tomorrow! I don't know whats going on....I can't go out because my period is so heavy, i'm scared to sit down for too long as it comes gushing down my legs when i stand up, its so embarrassing and ridiculous, i don't know what to do...grrrr