I'm 21 and for the last 5 months i have been getting my period on time. When my period has come i have got blood clots for the first 3 days. There large blood clots and its scaring me. Is this something i should be worried about? why do people get blood clots?

No, there is nothing wrong with having blood clots during periods. I have them as well. Usually are they small but look like liver piece-yucky!

These clots are extracted when the periods are heavier and when we have more cramping. It is when our blood flow is stronger and faster and our "anti-coagulants" don’t have the time to prevent blood from clotting because the blood moves to fast and there is too much of it , and sometimes there aren’t enough "anti-coagulants" to do the job.

If you have big clots, it probably means you are losing a lot of blood and you should make sure you take enough iron-rich foods or take iron supplements, so that you wouldn’t become anemic. Other wise it’s cool unless you don’t have unbearable crampings and so heavy periods that prevent you form your normal every day activities.

i am 23 and i have never had more then 1 period a month. This last month i had 2 in one month and i had big blood clots with the worst cramps i have ever had i am not sure what i should do or if i am pushing luck by not seeing a doc?

Some women experience changes in their menstrual cycle when the season’s changing. For example, every April I myself have too periods in one months, especially when the nice weather starts. This is nothing to worry about because it happens. I can’t say I know scientific reason to it but it does happen and it happens only once, then my period goes back to the previous pattern.

Similar thing can happen when you are traveling especially when you are going to one geographic area to another with slightly different climate. Whenever I go to the seaside, I get some irregularities in my cycle.

Anyway, if something like this happens to you again, it could indicate the presence of ovarian cysts (which are usually harmless but could cause uncomfortable symptoms). The most common ovarian cysts are called functional and they usually go away on their own.

So, if you experience unexplained/unexpected period with similar symptoms again, it would be wise to see a gynecologist.

Blood clots usually occur when we are having a heavy period and when anti-coagulants don’t have the time to prevent blood from clotting.

im23 years old and my menstral cycle this month is very painful, i havent been able to walk for the past two mornings and then last night the same pain came back. i went to the bathroom and a HUGE blood clot came out but that was the first one i had seen since my cycle began on saturday my period is not heavy at all this month but i am having really bad cramping in my lower stomach, hips, and and inner legs where they connect to your body...whats causing this and why %-)

i started my period friday morning, it seemed fine at first...i was feeling ok. i had called and made a drs. appt. for my throat glands swelling. so i was going to leave work at ten. as the morning went by i felt worse and worse. my cramps started getting really bad so i went home a couple of minutes earlier. then the cramps were so bad i could not stand it. i felt like i was going to throw up. i couldn't sit or stand. i tried to take a hot bath..that made me feel even worse. the cramps were so bad i could feel them in my thighs. i finally couldn't take it anymore and i got my husband to take me to the er. they thought i was stupid...i cannot even begin to express how much pain i was in. i'm not sorry. so they gave me pain med. and checked to see if i was possibly having a misscarriage. i did not. i am not pregnant. for the past 6 mo. my periods have been painless, then last mo. i got cramps again. i cannot get pregnant, or i haven't in the last 5 years anyway. anyway i got home and i am now having so many blood clots. they told me to follow up with an ob. i just went to the doctor and my pap smear was normal...i told the doc that i couldn't get pregnant he told me that i was probably just not ovulating. i hate this situation! i just want to be healthy.

To the guest question of feeling in terrible pain and going to the er. I hope you are diligent in going back to your ob/gyn, they can help but you pretty much have to tell them you are having problems. Point blank sometimes you have to yell a little. I sat quiet for years before my ob found out that I had a very large cyst and endometrosis. I have not been able to have children and I just think if I had been more persistant with my ob to check out my problems things would be different. I am just telling you this so if kids are something you want in the future don't wait.

Guest wrote:

I'm 18 years old and just had a baby in April. I didn't have a peroid for almost 2 months and just the other day I started my peroid. I am cramping really bad and am haveing clots with mager pain in my stomach Is it normal for me to be haveing a very heavy flow and clots please help :cry:

Someone please help. I'm 19 years old and in the last 12 hours I've used 4 pads. This morning when I woke to use the bathroom, there was so much blood that it was coming out from under my shorts. As I walked, my shorts got stuck to my thigh and I looked down to see blood running out. Now, I've had super heavy flows before, but none this bad. I'm scared, and I have lots of blood and clots, and my stomach feels funny. Please help me. :-(

I can honestly say that I feel all of you guys pain. I have had a period for three weeks and I have been passing abnormally large blood clots the size of kiwis for the last two weeks. I have no idea what is causing it b/c all my tests have came back normal at the doctors.

i guess i'm glad to see i'm not the only one having the exact same problems. i'm 24 and the past 3 months my cycles have been very crazy. this year by cramps were so severe i went to a walkin clinic and to my ob- but really didn't get help. My periods have also been lasting more than 7 days- more like 2 weeks of wearing pads!!!!! ugh- i'm getting tired of this. and i have been passing a lot of clot- large clots, i've been really really worried. i doubt i will see the ob this time- waste of time and money and i never get an answer. i keep been told it's all normal :-(

HI,
I AM ONLY 22 BUT I HAVE HAD IRREGULAR PERIODS SINCE I GOT MY PERIOD( I WAS 13) AND ABOUT A YEAR AGO I HAD REALLY HEAVY BLEEDING FOR ALMOST THREE MONTHS ALONG WITH BLOOD CLOTS THE SIZE OF AN APPLE!!!!!!!!!! I WENT TO THE ER AND HAD AN EMERGENCY BLOOD TRANSFUSION... AFTER BLEEDING FOR THREE MONTHS I WAS VERY WEAK AND ANEMIC.
I KNOW PEOPLE WILL WONDER WHY I DIDNT SEE A DR SOONER BUT NOT EVERY1 HAS GREAT INSURANCE OR ANY KIND OF INSURANCE I FELL INTO THE NO INSURANCE CATEGORY, ANY WAY AFTER THE D&C MY BLEEDING STOPPED AND THE MONTHS FOLLOWING I WAS STILL HAVING IRREGULAR PERIODS BUT NOT SO HEAVY AND NOT AS MANY BLOOD CLOTS, AND NOW EXACTLY 1 YEAR LATER ITS STARTED AGAIN JUST AS IM POSTING THIS IS BECAUSE I WAS AWAKEN BY A LEG CRAMP AND WHILE I WAS HAVING THE CRAMP THAT WOKE ME I WAS ON ALL FOURS AND LIKE EIGHT BLOOD CLOTS CAME OUT ONE RIGHT AFTER THE OTHER I STARTED FREAKING OUT AND STILL WITH MY CRAMP I COULDNT EVEN GET UP AND WALK 2 THE BATHROOM!!! BY THE TIME I DID I FELT BLOOD TRICKLING DOWN MY LEGS AND THE MINUTE I SAT ON THE TOILET LIKE SIX MORE CAME OU(NOT THE SIZE OF APPLES MORE LIKE SMALL GOLFBALL) I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO??? I HAVE A FEELING @ THIS RATE IM NEVER GONNA GET PREGNANT IF I KEEP HAVING TO GET D&C... DO I EVEN NEED ANOTHER???? WHATS WRONG WITH ME???? WHY CANT ANY FREE DR GIVE ME AN ANSWER??????IM SCARED ONE DAY ILL JUST BLEED TO DEATH????

Hello I am 24 years old and I have been getting blood cloths for a while now, first I was scared and not sure of what it was and I didn't understand it than I did my research online, including this website and had a better understanding, and was less worried. I first saw the same thing, like chunky boogery, slimy red blood discharge coming out and it was nasty, I was confused as I everyone else here, almost... I also have really bad pains the first three days and than it's cools down a little, not to mention joint... muscle pain... extremely heavy cramps... breast tenderness... acne... Diarrhea... feeling tired... trouble concentrating or remembering... tension, irritability, mood swings, and crying spells... Basically its like a bad dream... Nightmare... Call it whatever you want I feel like sometimes I just want to disappear. :x

Elizabeth i feel you! every SINGLE ONE of your symptoms you said, i have right now :-( from a week before my period until 3 days into it i have all of them. and the first 3 days i clot very heavily. Today has been the worst. :-( i wish someone knew the answer to how to make it go away.

Recently I've had the same problem with clots, heavy bleeding, bleeding lasting 2-3 weeks, etc. After visiting my regular MD she told me it was stress because my PAP was normal. Not satisfied with this answer I went to my Gynocologist and she diagnosed me with a low thyroid AND polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

The treatment given to me is Levothyroxine for my low thyroid and YAZ birthcontrol to help with the PCOS. I have been taking this combination since the beginning of the year and thankfully have had no problems.

My period is light-medium and lasts about 3-4 days. I experience some cramping a some small, NORMAL clotting.

When I was having heavy bleeding I visited the ER at one point and was told to take a combination of Tylenol - for cramping and ibuprofen - which would help with the bleeding. They said it was OK to take both at once, and it did help. But be sure to see a gynocologist because they deal with these problems exclusively and in my opinion can diagnose the real problem behind menstrual issues.