I JUST STARTED MY PERIOD YESTERDAY AND NORMALLY HAVE NO PROBLEM. THIS TIME HOWEVER I HAVE BEEN CHANGING BOTH TAMPON,AND PAD EVERY 15 MIN. THE CLOTS HAVE REALLY GOT ME SCARED. I HAVE READ TOO THAT ITS NORMAL FOR SEVERAL DAYS OF HEAVY BLEEDING, BUT THIS HAS BEEN NON STOP SINCE YESTERDAY. I USUALLY DONT CLOT LIKE THIS. I DONT KNOW IF IM JUST BEING A BABY, OR IF I SHOULD GO TO THE HOSPITAL. ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?

%-) I know youre post was on 3/ 20/ 07 and I'm just now finding it. I bleed like that. Sometime it last for 3 months or longer. Just heavy big clots. Forget pads and tampons. I have wabble around wearing large beach towels when Im around the house just to keep the big clots off the carpet.

It makes you feel really sexy to your husband. :-( Going to the hospital never helped anything for me. They just say its a hormonal imbalance and tell you to report to your gyn. Then you owe a hospital bill & a gyn bill. The only thing they have ever done for me was give me more birth control pills to stop it.

Last year when I got a heavy non stop period, they instructed me to take 5 to 6 birth control pills per day for about 3 weeks until the bleeding stopped. Then I havent had another period till now, a year later. lol

I have always been told that my problem was because of hormonal imbalance which is the reason I am 40 and never had children since I never ovulated, even with fertility drugs it never worked. So I gave up.

My problem is, when my birth control refills run out and I can't get another appointment for more birth control pills, this heavy never ending period comes back. I know how it feels to be so weak, you can barely walk across your yard from so much blood loss.

Did you ever find out what your problem was? I am interested in finding out. Since I cant get the doctors to figure out how to fix it, I guess the only thing we can do is try to diagnose our own selves.

I think my new name is Towels. lol

I have the same problem and it's been going on now for almost a year. At it's worst the only thing I can do is wear a "Depends" because my only other choice seems to be sitting on the "royal thrown" for hours. It's just starting to really get me to the point of tears. I'm 35 and have PCOS. My husband and I are talking about having children but, who knows if I ovulate. I'm going to attempt a new OB/GYN next week.

~Danielle

Ladies, none of this is normal, or at least you don't have to live like this. The doctors you are seeing are insensitve and uninformed. Please continue looking for a new dr. until someone with a brain can help you.
There are so many things that can be done to help you, but finding the right dr. is the first step. If you are having hormonal imbalances then you should be treated with the right hormones, preferably natural ones which can usally only be found in a compound pharmacy. There are also surgeries which can help, and these are typically minor. I HATE the way drs. brush us off as if we are babies or insane. I spent years being miserable, and when I finally found the right dr. I was treated correctly and it saved my life. My hormones had become so bad I believe I may have killed myself had I not been helped. YOU HAVE TO BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!!! For this type of thing and any medical issue you have. Don't accept that "everything is fine and normal" if you just don't feel right. My mom's dr. told her recently that she needed an inhaler for what seemed like asthma. She said, "no, that can't be right", and forced further testing. She found out she had lung cancer in its early stages. Just now recovering from surgery, and looks like she is cancer free. Had she listened to the stupid dr. she'd be on her way to it progressing and spreading. I hope you will find answers that will really help you.
Take care.

I had this problem for years. Finally found an accupuncturist who does Chinese Herbal medicine and she got my system balanced. I went back to mostly normal periods, with a few heavier ones. Complications - I discovered I have a few really large fibroids, the Chinese doctor explained that many women who were on birth control pills for years got their estrogen/progestrone from a pill. Then after going off the pill, the body was not in the natural mode of giving you enough of the right hormone and your whole system gets out of whack. I am also 50 and perimenapausal.
I highly recommend seeking out an alternative practitioner who practices Chinese medicine, which has been around for thousands of years, and though takes longer than a quick pill or surgery to remove your uterus, balances the system in a natural way.
Alternatively, a friend of mine who had the heavy bleeding problem went for the uterine removal, and is very happy about it.

I also have PCOS. I used to experience large clots as well. I started taking a natural supplement called Vitex. It claimed to gently work with your system to encourage a natural cycle minus all the provera, bc pills, and other synthetic drugs. It took 3 months for it to work taking 2 a day for 8wks and then 1 per day thereafter. I just got my cycle after 8 months of not having one. My cycle is definitely different. No huge clots and alot thinner than i remember it being. I've been on alot of sites talking about this Vitex and you have nothing to lose. Specially if you have PCOS. I got my Vitex from

Hi, iam 24 years old and two months ago i had my second child by ceaseran section and this is also my second c section. i had trouble getting pregnant for three years until now. after my c-section i got a on and off period it wasnt too light or consistent. but three weeks later i have this heavy period it fills up my pads and iam having clots the size of small oranges. i felt lightheaded the first day this happened. has anyone had this happen or can give me advice on what to do. thank you!!!!!!

Hello yes i understand exactly im a 29 year old mother of 3 what you are goinin throuhgi understand compleatly. I had my tubes tied 4yrs ago after my 3rd child an last year i started to bleed really,really heavy an have clots the size of small oranges also i recently felt as if i was pregnet i had it all the sickness,cravings my stomach rounded off an everything and i went to all types of doctors an they kelpt running test an could'nt tell me anything but i was not pregnet but i looked like i was an everything to go along with it but the heavy bleeding an clotting never stopped it has just seemed to worsen but something has to give we both need to find us a good doctors that know what he or she is doing an talking about i just pray that we both can get some help.... %-)

i went for nearly three years without a period at all maybe some spotting every 4-6 months then when i turned 19 it was like the flood gates opened up i thought well this is just three years of backed up periods and did not go to a doctor heavy bleeding and very large clots lasted for a year and a half i went in for some routine blood work and found out i was anemic from all the blood that i was losing and in the beginning stages of insulin resistance doc orderd a pelvic ultrasound and prescribed metformin for pcos and insulin resistance this was just a week ago haven't had a cycle yet but i'm kind of enjoying not having to constantly worry about leaks and ruining clothes/furniture i just hope it works...

I had this a lot when I was younger... Then I was put on birth control and stayed on them until 18 months ago. Now here I am again heavy bleeding, large clots, mild cramping, and sometimes so weak and dizzy I barely get myself to the restroom. I have never had children, I am 38 years old and I almost feel I am going insane. I wish some one could figure this out... I hate to think that the young girls growing up today may have to deal with this. I take 2 or 3 iron pills a day (65) plus a multi vitamin. I walk daily... when I can. But I have now been bleeding since January 5th and I stopped for one day and have had very few light days... most have been heavy and clotting. It's enough to drive a woman crazy.

Hey all,
I went on google and typed in abnormal bleeding with blood clots and landed on this forum. I have been experiencing prolonged bleeding since July 2008 and I am still going through this problem and finding out what exactly is going on inside me that is causing this bleeding to not stop. I am 22 years old now and for this to start back when I was 19 is way too young for something like this to happen. I have been researching on the internet and reading other people's similar stories to my problem and just gather possible causes because I am so overwhelmed by this and I am starting to really worry about this. I started taking birth control pills in around November 2007, I did stop for 2 months and went back on it. By July, I had my period or I think I was, but ever since that period I never stopped bleeding. Bleeding ranged from very light to medium to extremely heavy with blood clots. My doctor at that time changed my pill, I believe I was given one with lower estrogen, it didn't help. I was given different pills at every visit when none of them worked. Oh, I did a pap test in March 2008 which showed that I am completely healthy and everything was GOOD! It was until April 2009, I did my second pap test and found out that I had undetermined abnormal cervical cells. And I thought I had cervical cancer. It turned out that I have HPV (possibly from my ex whom I was with since February 2008 (and his ex had HPV which I found out later but he said he got tested before he met me about being negative of HPV...whatever). So, since I was also still having continuous bleeding for a year then, I was referred to a gynecologist. I did a biopsy, it is HPV. And they said my bleeding wasn't caused by HPV. OK. Then recently I did a hormone test, it turned out "NORMAL". Now how can that be ? If my blood test showed NORMAL for hormones, then what is the next possible cause ? I cannot figure it out and point out a possible cause without it being hormone related. If my gynecologist prescribes me birth control pills again, I don't want to take them because what if SHE IS WRONG ? ANd I do believe that when I started taking the pill, that is when I started having this problem.

TODAY, I am having huge blood clots, heavy heavy bleeding. I just don't want to live like this for the rest of my life. What if I were to be in a relationship again? HAVING CHILDREN WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE. I need help. If anyone can think of possible causes, please let me know so I can discuss it with my gynecologist so she can do all the tests to confirm which of these is the REAL CAUSE. Thanks everyone :-)

i just wanted to say im 13 and i have periods like this and im going to the hospital in a little while but can you tell me if it is serious or not? :$

I am 38 and have had no children and pretty normal periods for most of my life. I tried birth control pills for a very short time when I first got married but had a lot of side effects so I have not taken pills in probably 12 years. In early May I had a very light start to my period and then about a week later it came on full force and has not let up since. Very heavy and large blood clots. After 3 weeks I set up an appt. with GYN and she ran blood work and scheduled me for a trans-vaginal ultra sound. The ultra sound showed that I have fibroids and seem to be the cause of the heavy bleeding and clots. My dr has scheduled me for an thermal ablation at the end of June and I hope this will stop the constant heavy bleeding and will I hope the procedure will not cause issues for me in the future. I am not one to rush into surgery and would rather wait it out or take more natural methods. I hope I am not rushing this and doing what is going to be best for me in the long run.

I am 18 yrs old and I got my period 9/28/10 and I had it over 2 weeks already.... I have heavy bleeding and large blood clots! what is wrong with me? I'm scared

I had always had normal periods. 3-4 days at most with very light bleeding. I had a child by c-section in '99. In 2007 my periods changed drastically. first it was a few months at 7days with heavy bleeding. Then 10 days, then between 10-14 with clots. I spoke with my OB-GYN who told me I don't understand what "heavy bleeding" actually is. It had gotten so bad, I Was afraid to stand up once i had been sitting for more than 5 minutes. Because I suffered no pain, and my period still came every 28 days, obviously I was jsut over-reacting. *rolls eyes* After months of going round and round with the Gyno, I talked to my Gen Practitioner who referred me to another Gyno. This was Oct 30, 2008. The new Gyno got me in on my Gen Practitioner's recommendation the next day. The new Gyno told me that it was my body and if anyone knew something was "wrong" it would be me. I liked that answer. He agreed it was too much bleeding so scheduled me for a trans-vaginal ultrasound, knowing "something" was not right.

Nov 4th 2008 I had my ultra-sound with a follow-up with the gyno on the 6th. He determined it was polyps, and because of family history of uterine cancer, had me in surgery on 11/13 for a d&c and hysteroscopy w/biopsy. He cleared out the polyps, but also found out that i Have adenomyosis, which continues to cause heavy bleeding and clotting every month. It was semi normal for a few months after surgery, but slowly eased back to old habits. The only true cure is a hysterectomy, which I am too young for, and I hoped to eventually find someone and to try for another child or two, and pregnancy is a temporary one. Progesterone can help, but due to chance of cancer, not a viable option for more than a few months. Oddly enough, now that I am in a steady relationship, and have a regular sex life, the bleeding and clotting has lessened. Go figure.