Hi, I am a 22 yr old female with a history of heavy bleeding with blood clots as big as a fist. I have extremley painful cramps and my peroid last for months at a time. I have been taking birth control for the past 4months to regulate my period however the bleeding has not slowed down nor stopped. In addtion to the bleeding I have been trying to get pregnant prior to the bleeding however i cant seem to get pregnant. What should i do, what doctor should i see, where do i start to get help from.

First you make an appointment with your gynecologist. WHo told you to take birth control pills in the first place? Was it a gyn or you did it on your own?

ANyway, I suppose your doctor will order some blood tests to check your hormonal levels and start from there. They may give you a shot to stop your bleeding.

Gyn could also help you plan your pregnancy.

I'm also 22 and have fist sized blood clots. I have been on my period since August of 2005. I have no insurance, and I am scared to death.

I have had these problems since I was 19, it was not until I was 22 and trying to get pregnant that I went to my OB/GYN ( in the same practice I have seen from the time I was 16 until I was 20) and really complained that he decided to run hormone tests and discovered that my testosterone level was elevated. He ordered a transvaginal ultrasound and a regular ultrasound and found out that I have a condition called polycystic ovary syndrome PCOS for short.
This is a condition where it affects your hormones not allowing your eggs to become mature, creating cysts and thus effecting your ability to get pregnant. You can become excessively obese and develop type 2 diabetes from this. Not to mention there have been cases that women have developed ovarian cancer when they left this situation untreated.
Most doctors will put you on some sort of insulin sensitising medication. They go by many different names, Metformin, Avandia, & Actos are just a few. Be warned tho if you get put on this medication chances are you will have severe diareah, but it usually only lasts for about the first three weeks and then you will be fine. It also helps you to digest your food more slowly aiding in weight loss.
I had went so long on my period, 9 months straight of bleeding, that I became anemic. I now have to take Iron supplements as well.

I am 20 years old i am have a problem with blood cloths,cramps,and i get really sick to it suck i have been going through this sence i was 14 yrs old it suck my frist day i cant even move because i am in so much pain and it suck so bad i have went to my doctore and he gave me some pills and if that does not work witch it dont think it will he is going to try something else. Witch is that they go in a scrape so stuff out to help the peroid so i am kinda scared to do that becasue i work a full time job. I am working out of state right know for 2 month but i hope i will only have 2 periods while i am here. I am so tired of feel like c**p every month i dont know what else to do the pills that he gave they are not working the best we will see what happens

I have had almost the same problem. during my period my diaphragm cramps instead of my lower abdomen to the point where i can't walk or so anything. On top of that during the first two days of my period alot of tissue comes out. ive always had the problem with my cramps but just recently ive gotten more and more tissue. Ive been trying to get pregnant but it's ended in 2 miscarriages one after the other... i don't know what to do.

My OBG says there is nothing wrong with me at all. i went in for my check up in march and then again a few weeks ago. Can anyone give me any kind of hint as to what might be wrong?

I have a lot of the same problems. I have been bleeding for 3 months straight now. The bleeding is always very heavy and has this dark "jelly-like" substance to it. I don't have insurance and I can't afford to go to the doctor. I have an appointment at planned parenthood today but I'm not sure if they can even help me. I feel very lost and I don't know what I should do. I am tired all the time because I was already slightly anemic and since I have been bleeding for so long, my body is just completely worn out. I don't know what I should do.

I can't believe all you girls are suffering due to lack of health insurance!

Here in Australia if you have a problem, you go to the doctor or hospital, it's all covered by medicare, you don't pay a cent.

Why oh why is America still in the health dark ages? %-)

i too hav ethis problem but am only in the br=eginning stages when i read about you all! i have been bleeding with huge clots for about a month now, its not painful for me tho all the time jus the huge amounts. why is this happening

I'm in the same boat. It isn't very painful, but I do get the big clots coming out and the prolonged periods. This is only the second time it has happened, but right now I'm on like week 4.
I don't have insurance, so I don't want to go to the GYN, but I do have an appt. with just a physician or whatever in like 3 weeks.....

Help?

i would ask your doctor for an iron test to check your iron levels.i too have very large blood clots and my doctor put me on iron pills to help with the clots.

so I wrote in when I had it for about 2 months now im about 3-4 months! I went to the ER and they said it was normal! so I went to a doctor and got blood work done! I go back the 29th to see if they found anthing. Since then its slowed down alot! still clots but not alot! i had them bad to the point i could feel them 10 seconds b4 they came out and could go to the bathroom and let them fall out (gross i kno). and ladies if you dont already kno...Dont drink! alcohol makes it worse. i went o a party and after 2 drinks thought i was dying ! my boyfriend had to rush me home i was in so much pain and bleeding so bad!

Exactly a year ago I started bleeding very heavy it's called "Flooding" w/ large jelly type bllod lots. My doctor put me on premotreum which is a hormone that protects the lining of your uterus. That did not stop th bleeding. he then put me on birth control. That would not stop. Finally he prescribed me a birth contril pill called YAZ. My bleeding stopped with a week. I was cramping, bleeding and the blood was not manageable so I had to go on bed rest.

Now it;s exactly a year later and Im bleeding again. Ive been checked out test after test and no one can find anything. The doctors dont know why Im bleeding so having insurance is not always the answer.

I don't have throids, fybroids or cysts. I don't have STD's. I'm not sexually active. My period has aleays been steady except for these issues. Now im taking strong pain pills, Yaz and a pill that helps my iron,

There is a condition that could be causing your troubles ladies. Uterine fibroids can cause huge blood clots and excessive bleeding. It's not a fatal illness, nor does it lead to cancer but it can lead to infertility. If your symptoms get worse when it is hot and are alleviated somewhat when it's cold, that's a fairly good sign of fibroid trouble. Eating a lot of fresh, raw veggies can help the situation, and it goes away on its own at the time of menopause. Some women do manage to carry a child with this problem, so all hope is not lost. :-)

I have the same thing but I'm an older lady, like 43. I don't have insurance. I had a few periods about 5 years ago that were really bad, but then they went away. Now, OMG, they are horrible. Sometimes I skip periods for a few months. Then I have periods that go on forever.

I just started a new job and don't have benefits yet. I'm afraid when they notice me running the toilet every 30 minutes they will fire me, then still no insurance!

Does anyone know when menopause normally hits? I'm hoping it's around age 43! :-)