I have been reading a lot about bacteria because I found those creatures so much interesting. Somehow, I cannot stop admire their ability to survive in each environment on the mother earth. I was so surprised with the fact how many non-pathogenic bacteria human beings carry on skin. However, lately I have been reading something about one bacterium and they wrote her latent period is short. Can you tell me what it means, and why latent period is important in knowing one bacterium?

Generally, latent period is the time that elapses between a stimulus and the response to it. It could mean the time that elapses before the presence of a disease is manifested by symptoms. This is seemingly inactive period, as that between exposure of tissue to an injurious agent and the manifestation of response to it. The same, it is time between the instant of stimulation and the beginning of response. Latent period could also be defined with the period between exposure to a disease-causing agent or process and the appearance of symptoms. In some cases, beside story about bacteria, the latent period is period between exposure to a tumorigenic dose of radioactivity and the appearance of tumors. This occurs because release of phage progeny from infected bacteria coincides with destruction of the machinery necessary to produce more phage progeny. It is needed that we explore issues of phage latent-period evolution as a function of the density of phage-susceptible bacteria. Theory suggests that higher bacterial densities should select for shorter phage latent periods in bacteria.