I would like to know more about the bacteria that causes tuberculosis and the way it is spread. Is there anybody who could share this info with me. I suffered from two pneumonias and I read somewhere that I am more likely to contract tuberculosis. Any info is highly appreaciated. Thx

Hi! I don’t know about your risks of contracting tuberculosis but I do know something about the bacterium. It is called Mycobacterium tuberculosis and it grows and multiplies very slowly, every 20 hours. Other bacteria multiply in minuets. The bacterium can resist some weak disinfectants and live in dry environment a long time but it can not multiply outside of host. The bacterium is spread when an infected person coughs, sneezes, speaks, or spits. People who spend a lot of time with an infected person are at greatest danger of catching one. Transmission occurs only when people have active TB disease and not while they are in latent phase. Whether the transmission will occur or not depends on environment of exposure, duration of exposure, and virulence of the organism.