I have a question for you all, and I realize that it is a bit of a taboo, but I seriously hope that someone can take the time to answer me. I am a single woman, currently dating a wonderful man. I really like him in almost every way. We have been on six dates now and I am beginning to fall in love with him, I think! He told me that he suffers from epilepsy on the second date, and was quite laid-back about it. With the help of medication, he says, he hardly ever even has seizures. Still, I have to ask... What is the life expectancy for someone who has epilepsy?

I understand your question and don't think it is much of a taboo. We all want to know what we are getting into, don't we?

I don't personally have epilepsy, but because my brother suffers from it, I do know more about epilepsy than your average person. It is true that modern epilepsy drugs are usually very good and effective, and that seizures can often be reduced to zero in many epilepsy patients.

For epileptics who are healthy apart from the epilepsy, their life expectancy is just the same as for anybody else. There are never any guarantees in life of course. While statistics confirm that what I say is true, your love might die from a grand mal seizure. He could even die from a stroke of lightening, or in a car accident. Or you could both live until in your 90s - you never know!

What about the side effects from meds affecting your liver and what not I would think that that might take some years off right?

Just have to say 1 thing... most epilepsy cannot be stopped by medication. There is actually a very small percent of people who the medication actally works for. My source is my doctor at John Hopkins

I have had it all of my life and have looked this up: the life expectancy for a person with epilepsy is approximatly 20 fewer years than the average person according to what I found online. I looked under life expenctancy for epelepsy.

I'm nearly 65 yo and have had epilepsy since I was 8 yo. I worked 8 years w my doctors to find a solution to become seizure free. By age 15 WE were there. We all worked together. If your dr doesn't believe you can be seizure free its time to get another doctor. There are all kinds of tx that were not available since I was a kid. too much info is out there then to be stuck thinking your case is hopeless. Good luck and use your village.

That is aAbsolutley incorrect .People with Epilepsy can live a long and fruitful life .It is true there is a possibility A person with epilepsy may have a reduced life expectancy However that is mainly based upon situations a person with epilepsy may fall into such as falling fainting and hurting yourself ,From a positive perspective if you have been diagnosed with epilepsy and you have epilepsy in excess of 20 years your life expectancy is the same as any other given person By the way the Internet gives mixed information and depending how it's read by the person reading it is so easy to misinterpret their results

I know this has been more than a year but wanted to share a bit of my own experience with epilepsy.

I am 37 yo and have had epilepsy since I was 12. I was put on medication and was seizure free. My neurologist and I decided to try to get me off medication when I was 16 thinking I had out grown epilepsy but I had another seizure while off the medication. I was put back on medication and have been seizure free since. I also adopted the ketogenic diet. Other than the epilepsy I am overall healthy. As long as one is diligent with taking medication, getting the right amount of sleep and eating well one can live a long normal life. I’m married to a wonderful woman and have a beautiful daughter. Before I married my wife I made her aware of all my medical history so she knew what she was getting into. In our case, I’m aware of my condition and make sure to take my meds, get sleep, eat well, exercise to metabolize the meds properly. I just make sure to take care of myself for my wife and daughter.

Just thought I would share a bit of my story.

How did your situation turn out?

Epilepsy has been a part of me all my life, I had a stroke at the age of 6 mos and am now 45 + on 3 meds to try to control it and my doctor has claimed me permanently disabled and on top of it I’m married and have a daughter and stepson and my wife respects me for who I am and not what I have. So if I were you I would not look at what it is that have being they’ve got epilepsy although I would look at the bigger picture and know that you have found someone who is gonna love you for who you are and not what you are plus if I were you I would look on the internet and take a close look at how many celebrities that there are that have it and you or nobody else know it such as Elton John or teddy Roosevelt or even the number of actors/musicians/famous people in general. Once you begin to realize that, you just might change your mind. I just shared the same information with my wife and she was shocked. So in other words, give people a fair chance and don’t either go with what others say because of it or cut people like them down because everyone deserves a fair chance and even famous Olympian athletes have it BELIEVE IT OR NOT, and who knows anybody can get it at anytime