I was involved in a discussion about the life expectancy of people with down syndrome on another board. We could not come to agreement, and there was a very heavy discussion about this. I am convinced that down syndrome people live a lot shorter in countries without appropriate medical care, and that this is the key to the life expectancy of down syndrome people in the West. Others did not agree and said that medical care is not all that essential to the life expectancy of those with down syndrome. Who is right?

You are borth right in a way, and I think that there is still an awful lot of controversy surrounding the causes of death in those with down syndrome. The person you were in a discussion with was right, no matter how illogical it might sound on the surface, because various studies have shown that teaching people with down syndrome to survive on their own and be self sufficient is the key - something that is of greater importance to the overall life expectancy compared to factors such as medical care for the heart problems down syndrome patients often have.