Hi, guys. My friend is diagnosed with diabetes type 1. He is 14 years old and all this came as a surprise for us. No one expected this. Can anyone tell me something more about the life expectancy for people with this type of the disease? I would really appreciate all your replies considering this.

Hello, there. Your question cannot be answered simply. Many factors influence on that how long someone will live with diabetes type 1. Some experts claim that the longevity of the life for this people is decreased for 20 years. The important thing for the life expectancy is whether the disease is diagnosed before or after the age of 15. If the disease is diagnosed before this age, the prognosis is better. Lifestyle changes are necessary. Your friend must learn how to live with this disease. I hope everything will be fine. Thanks in advance.