Hi, my father is a fifty eight years old man. Ha has been suffering from high blood pressure ever since I can remember. The thing is, he listens to his doctor and takes the prescribed medicines regularly. However, his high blood pressure is high the moment he stops taking them. Therefore, you can see that he has been undergoing a therapy for years but without significant improvements. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, high blood pressure, hypertension, is a chronic condition. It is caused by narrowing of blood vessels produced by a number of reasons. Such are: stressful events, bad nutrition, smoking and leading an unhealthy life in general, but I am sure that you are aware of circumstances that can lead to hypertension. The thing about hypertension is that it cannot be cured. The only thing that can be done is to keep high blood pressure under control. This is achieved by medicine. Therefore, it is normal that your father has been undergoing therapy for years but the illness remains. The best thing that he can do is to maintain the therapy his doctor has prescribed him. Also, if there are any changes your father must see his medical care provider as soon as possible.