:$ him i am 17 years old and my peiod has lasted for 15 day i just started taking birth control on the first day of my period is that normal and the pill im taking is loestrin...

Hi Kimjon. Back to the doctor's you go! Sounds like you may need a different birth control pill. But don't just 'put up with it' 15 day periods are toooooo long!

I totally agree with what was posted here. You should not have a period that lasts that long! It should not be 15 days under any circumstances so please go to the doctor and make sure that you're okay. Please let us know how you're doing okay?

I am 48 years old and i believe I'm going though menopause. When i was younger my periods only lasted 5 days and now it is usually 3 to 4 day. but this period is now 9 day a counting. Is it because i might be going though menopause.

A few years before the menopause really sets in, your menstrual cycle is likely to be disrupted. How its affected varies from one woman to the next. Considering your age, that could be what's happening to you, but 9 days is too long - pop into your local herbalist who will put together a remedy to stop the bleeding for now. Visit your doctor if your cycle continues to be disrupted, so you can find out what's happening with your hormone levels, and how close you are to the menopause.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

What sort of remedy do you think that an herbalist would put together for someone who is suffering from menopause? Can you tell me a little more about what you could expect?

Hi Healthnfitness Guy

Thanks for asking about herbal remedies for menopause!

A herbalist will first query her client about her symptoms. Some women suffer anxiety attacks along with hot flushes or disrupted periods if still in the perimenopause (the few years before the menopause). Each herbal remedy mixture is created individually to suit the individual. Commonly used herbs for menopause include Sage for hot flushes, Black Cohosh (carefully, to help the liver conjugate hormones effectively), Shepherds Purse for flooding periods, Passionflower if there is anxiety, Valerian if there is stress, sometimes Wild Yam, the list goes on and on and on...! Each country has its own favourite herbs, so what we use here in Australia could vary immensely from herbs used in the Americas, Asia or India, but still have the same effect. And each herbalist will have her own 'favoured' herbs too.

There's no 'one size fits all' for herbal remedies for menopause, and this can make self-treating menopausal symptoms really difficult, because what relieved one woman's symptoms won't necessarily relieve another's!

The effectiveness of the herbal remedy also depends on the health of the woman when we start. A woman who exercises regularly, manages her stress, eats a healthy diet and doesn't indulge too much in caffeine or alcohol will get a faster, more effective response than a sedentary woman who is stressed and has unhealthy eating patterns. But in general, our 'rule of thumb' is that it takes around three months to make long term changes in a woman's hormone profile.

Hope this helps - was this what you wanted to know?

Regards, Olwen :-)

Olwen, yes, that is VERY helpful. I know that every woman's herbal needs will be different but I still think it's helpful to know what to expect at least a little. Thanks so much for the informative post :-)