Hi, I'm 47 years old and for a few years now I have been feeling the symptoms of perimenopause, irregular periods, hot flushes and emotional distress. My gynecologist said that I should be going to menopause soon. I know that menopause is a natural phenomenon and that there is nothing I can do to stop it but I was wondering if there was some kind of a treatment for these annoying symptoms of the menopause? Any help and information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Every single woman has different experiences with menopause. Some don’t feel the symptoms of the menopause at all, while others have severe symptoms, mood swings emotional problems, other physiological problems, osteoporosis etc. The most famous therapy for the symptoms of menopause is called hormone replacement therapy or HRT and most doctors will recommend that therapy when you come to them with the symptoms of menopause and want them to go away. HRT is basically taking synthetic female sex hormones estrogen and progesterone to replace the loss of these hormones that are naturally produced by the normally functioning ovaries. Since ovaries stop producing estrogen and progesterone in menopause HRT is just what the body needs to cope with the symptoms. HRT fights the symptoms in a short term, it prevents osteoporosis and influences most of the other symptoms positively, but recent research has shown that it can have bad consequences in the long run such as increased risk of heart disease and stroke. There are natural alternatives to HRT that you should consider like plant estrogens and natural estrogen therapy. For further information you should consult your general practitioner or your gynecologist.