I have problem that started few months ago. I have noticed I have long lasting periods, which was not happening before. I used to have normal menses, up to 5 days, which I was considered as normal. However, last time it was bleeding of 8 days, which made me worried. Could you tell me what does long lasting periods could be?

Long lasting period or excessive bleeding is called menorrhagia. Though menorrhagia may be caused by other problems, such as fibroids, cysts, and tumors, there are two systems in the body that seem to have a particularly strong effect to amount of bleeding. One of the factors that specify how long will bleed last, is the endocrine system and the other is the liver. The thyroid plays a very important part in the endocrine system, and nourishing and balancing the thyroid should not be ignored especially if woman noticed long lasting periods. Again, as with PMS and cramps, you should include good food in your diet if you have noticed there is something wrong. Foods high in vitamins and trace minerals seem to promote good thyroid health, which is recommended for everyone. Seaweed and dark green leafy vegetables and root vegetables should be eaten, as well as whole grains. Good advice to reduce long lasting periods, cramps and menstrual problems is that you should also avoid red meats. Calcium-Rich Tea is recommended for PMS and cramps, and it would be a good choice for menorrhagia as well. This tea is also high in vitamins and minerals, especially iron and B12, which is important for blood count. If this continues, you should visit the doctor, he should check why does long lasting periods occurs in your case.

what could be wrong if a period last for 18 days and is still going

my problem is the same as blondz. I went to my GYN and she said that it was just a hormonal imbalence and that it will either clear up as I get older or it can be controlled by birth control. As it turns out, I'm ovulating while I'm still on my period. My doctor said that it can't hurt me, its just annoying. However, she mentioned nothing about my thyroid. I'm going to go back and talk to her about birth control because I'm sick of these periods, but I'm going to ask her about the thyroid because I heard nothing about it.

Hi I had my second daughter in March of last year. During my 6 week check up I got the depo-provera shot. Three months later I got the shot again (July 2008). I was scheduled for another shot in October but I did not want to have that hormone any longer. During the time i had the shots I was without periods. Since September 2008 I've been experiencing 20 day periods. Now it take breaks such as coming on the 1st of the month and ending on the 8th and then returning 20th of that same month. I currently have no insurance so its been hard to get to a GYN. I am nervous, confused, and scared. Anyone?!

I don't think that it's really much for you to worry about for now, as I know that your periods are probably thrown off because of the hormone shots. I'm sure that by actually getting to your doctor that you'll be able to figure out what the issue is but I am pretty sure that it is related to the shots. Does that help at all?

I too have had long and irregular periods for the last four months my last period lasted a month. I dont have any insurance. But I was scared that something was wrong with in so I ended up just going to planned parenthood. They did a pelvic exam, pap smear, some blood work to check my thyroid and other tests for infections. I havnt got the results for the blood work yet. But eveything else is fine she said it was from stress.
But my point was I just got laid off so my income is low I ended up only paying $16 for all that work and testing done on me. It is worth going to get checked out something could be wrong. They also do payment plans.
It was worth it for me to know that im ok it took a lot off my mind.
I hope that helped

hey girls!

i have been having the same issues. i went to the gyno about 2 months ago, and was told it was BLEEDING DURNING OVULATION and given hormon pills.
did nothing.
and now its back and WORSE then EVER. having to change SUPER PLUS tampons every 45mins-1hour. a total nightmare.
just got back from the ER and have been perscribed things for the LARGE blood clots, more hormone pills, iron pills....
but if that doesnt help, which i doubt it will, as this has been going on for months.. it could be this:

a mucus ball with blood vessels called a polyp. its in the uterus and not found with normal ultra sound. i will go back next week to have them look for it. if so, surgury is the answer.

p.s. im working as an au pair in sweden at the moment, so i am on a cheap travel insurance plan from the states, hoping they will reimburst me :-) not sure about other plans and not being covered. im sure a planned parenthood would help!

good luck you all!
im there with you i feel your stress and pain!
xoxo.

Ive been on depo for almost a year now and im having problems. i started it february 2009 and i was 15 at the time. i got my period wen i was 12 and ever since ive had irregular periods, which made me start the birth control. i get my next shot next month, and ive been non stop bleeding for over 3 months!! ive had ovarian cysts before but my gyn said it would go away with my period. im concerned if the cyst is still there causing problems or if its just the depo. ive been on the pill and that never worked for me either =(
Help!!!

ive had the same thing ever since getting the Depo shot. i recieved the shot at my 6 week check up after my son was born. I did not have a period until he was around 8 months old and it lasted for about 3 weeks. i went to the doctor because i was worried and they put me on the pill....along with the shot.....to regulate my periods. i only took one month worth and was worried i was doing more damage than good so i got off everything. now i have been haveing 3-4 week long periods. i went to the doctor again and let her know what was happening. she said everything was ok and that she could put me on the pill AGAIN to regulate. i said NO WAY and have just put up with the stupid period... i am worried this is going to lead to some kind of infertility. has anyone heard anything like that from this shot?! i am planning on trying to become pregnant within the next 6-7 months. so i guess i will find out...

HELP ME!! PLEASE! i dont know what to do. im 15 years old and i have ahad my period for over a month now. it was always irregular but never like this. im not afriad of having some kind of disease or anything. the thing am afraid of is my mom. i recently lost my virginity to my bf and my mom cant know. she will take him away from me and literally kill me. im scared sh*tless that im pregnant. im going to the GYN on thursday and if the doctor asks me about my sex life i cant lie to the doctor. i have told a couple close friends about my problem and they said to get a home pg test but i have no money for it. i dont know what to do. can anyone help me???

As much as you think your mom will kill you, you really need to tell her! If you are pregnant, you need to get the correct prenatal care to take care of the baby. If you don't want the baby, adoption is the best option! There are many families out there that want a child, but can't conceive. I am a mom, and although it would honestly break my heart, I'd be more upset if I didn't find out from you directly! It could also be that you aren't pregnant, but you should a. use protection! Trust me, it's more work than you think to be pregnant! and b. if you don't want a baby, don't have sex. that's the bottom line. even condoms, birth control...they aren't 100% effective! Hope this helps!

No, this doesn't help. People will have sex. That's just the way it is. And teenagers will have sex more than anyone else... 'Abstinence' is c**p. Unrealistic. USE CONDOMS. Learn to buy them, learn to put them on your bf, learn to carry them with you at all times. You never know when you may need them. If you mother finds them, tell her 'better safe than sorry'. In Europe there are open advertising campaigns in every country for condoms. It is the only protection from STDs, and a very effective protection for anything else, including pregnancy. As for unwanted pregnancy, UN-Wanted pregnancy means 'not wanting to be pregnant', i.e., not wanting to carry a fetus to term. So forget the 'adoption' route. Think abortion. It is effective, it is efficient, it has been resolving unwanted pregnancies for MILLENIA. It is an ancient procedure and every culture has practiced it. And it is safe where it is performed legally. As for the 'psychological effects', a load of c**p, again. It can be a lot more devastating giving birth and giving the baby up. And that devastation can last a lifetime. Ask any woman who ever gave up a baby, how many times did she think 'what if'. Then ask any woman who ever had an abortion the same question. Hardly any what ifs there...

I have the same problem. I got the depo-provera shot and then decided to stop getting the shot and now i have my period for months at a time. My gyno says that it is normal and that the hormone can stay in your body for up to 8 months. Which means ur periods wont go back to normal until after 8 months supposidly. The only other way to make ur periods back to normal is to take a different type of birth control to even out the hormones. Its nothin to be scared about because ur body isnt in harm or anything from losing so much blood its just very annoying. I feel your pain though.

Honestly, you are leading people astray. How would you feel if your mother said, "well, I was going to abort you, because frankly you were an inconvenience to MY life. But, I decided not to. You should be grateful!"

THAT is bullcrap. If you can't handle the risks, don't do it. The only way you know you won't ever catch am STD or get pregnant is to not do it. Point blank. "People" won't have sex, you will. Don't impose your standards for how everyone will do things in such a bleek light. There are plenty of people who can, will, and have waited until they were either married or with someone they completely trusted to have sex. Telling a 15-year-old otherwise is ignorant to idiotic.

How many people do you know that have drama because they DIDN'T wait?