Hi. I'm 50 years old and I'm experiencing some strange health problems. Almost five years my menstrual periods stopped and I entered a menopause age.
Maybe it is coincidence but in a same time I also started to suffer from my nose problems.
I can't even imagine how much problems I'm having with my nose and most severe symptoms are sneezing, a blocked or congested nose, a watery discharge ('runny nose'), and an itchy nose.
I did some allergy tests but they all came negative so I was wondering is it possible that my rhinitis problems could be caused by menopause.
What kind of things can cause rhinitis?
Thanks!

Rhinitis means inflammation of the nose. You have experienced almost typical symptoms like congested nose, include: sore throat and loss of smell.
Term atrophic means that your normal nose mucous membrane is reduced because of inflammation.
I understand you did some allergy test. You were right -an allergy to house dust mite or to a pet is the common cause.
It is quite uncommon to get these symptoms during menopause but there are various other causes or 'triggers' for the symptoms.
Hormone changes during pregnancy, puberty, and after the menopause can sometimes cause nose symptoms. So, it could be caused by menopause but I will rather look for solution in the different types of medications because a side effect from certain medicines is sometimes a cause. These include: beta-blocker medicines, aspirin and other usual anti-inflammatory medicines you probably used.

I too started suffering from rhinitis about the same time I entered menopause and I also quit smoking at the same time. For eight years, I have crusty, bloody mucous in my nose. I take Prempro twice a week to control hot flashes and I take ibuprophen twice a day for joint pain. I haven't tried too many things for the rhinitis. I'm wondering if a nasal spray would be helpful? Somebody told me to inhale salt water and it may help but it is traumatic! I hate it! Any particular brands that workwell? Flonase, Rhinocort? I am 57 and live in Minnesota and this starts in the fall and typically lasts all winter. I do not have a cold and feel fine otherwise.

i don,t take ANY medication,but i have the same problem,dry and very stuffed nose ,i can,t breath well and i,m desperate...i,ve tried almost anything...the only which helps a little is an ointment called NOSE BETTER ...i,m pretty sure that this condition is caused by menopause...i will try bio identical hormones creams,maybe if they will help

I do not take any medications either.
I am in the beginning stages of menopause at age 49.
This serious sinus and throat problem began as soon as menopause started.
It seems like Doctors are not looking into all of the problems that are caused by menopause.
My Hashimoto's also got worse as soon as menopause started.

This person just said that hormone changes can cause nose symptoms, yet somehow does not understand that menopause is more than likely a cause also.
NEWS FLASH: MENOPAUSE IS A HORMONAL CHANGE
Hopefully this person is not a doctor

I hope you've all gotten some relief since it's been over a year since the original post. I too have the runny nose from Menopause. I finally went to a ear, nose, and throat doc my husband goes to. I was tested for allergies. I have zero. I asked about menopause bringing it on since it seemed to coincide. Yep, he said, it can open up nasal passages. Great. :( So he prescribed a nasal spray that does indeed help. I've looked for over the counter with same ingredients but don't think there is one. This is Ipratropium Bromide Nasal solution. I have to see the doc once a year to renew the prescription and then with my insurance it's $10.00 a bottle. I only use one shot in each nostril instead of two as it just comes running out otherwise. this makes each bottle last longer of course. It works for me. It is not a steroid. I tried one that was at first from the doc and that made my nose bleed a bit. No problems with this one though. I hope this helps anyone still experiencing this annoying part of menopause. I thought the hot flashes were enough! I still have those too and it's been at least 8 years. Please post if you've found something else that works over the counter.

I have found that using a saline spray regularly helps and Flixonase (UK) was prescribed by my GP.

Secaris has an over the counter nasal gel that helps a myriad of nasal symptoms. It helps me.

I am 50 and went into menopause 1 year ago. I started on 1mg Estrofem and suddenly 1 month ago my estrogen dropped and have had to up my dosage. My nose blocks due to the menopause and yes it is due to the menopause as my nose blocked with both my pregnancies in 1994 and 1996. It was confirmed by by Gynae's. It is most irritating. I live in South Africa. Menopause is a biyatch.

Hi, I don't understand why you are still having hot flushes. When I started with my hot flushes and night sweats, I immediately knew it was menopause and saw my doctor. He prescribed HRT's (Hormone Replacement Therapy) (Estrofem 1mg) to start and the hot flushes and night sweats stopped, blocked nose stopped, mood swings stopped etc. I started sleeping at night which cleared up my mood swings and I started to live normally again. Until January of this year when my estrogen levels plummeted and the doctor had to up my dosage so I am back to square one again waiting for the 2mg's to kick in. I could not live with those hot flushes especially the night sweats when you know you have to be up at 6am and at work by 8am.

I totally agree!!!

Lilrodste, I am in the SAME boat. This nasal congestion is most definitely menopausal related. I started noticing some issues in my mid-late 30's but it waxed and waned. As soon as I hit 40 (and now for the past 5 years) my quality of life is not good. I literally have to wear a nasal vent 24/7 unless outside of the house (where I just muddle through it). I also use nasal strips, moisturizing gel. Nothing has solved this issue. My Hashimotos is totally out of control. This is due to the fluctuation of estrogen, since estrogen and thyroid have an inverse relationship (when estrogen is high, thyroid hormone is low and the reverse). My levels of both thyroid and estrogen have been like a roller coaster. THIS IS PURE HELL? I wish it on no one. Sadly, no one understands. I have one girlfriend going through perimenopause and she complains that she is having the same issues as me but is holding down a job, exercise program and a boyfriend. Um no honey. Sex, what is sex? The only thing I FORCE myself to do is run.

I'm 35 have zero medications. Excellent general health. Never experienced allergies before. Don't have other symptoms (allergy or otherwise), but a year ago started with daily sneezing (usually I sneeze only when I have a cold coming on), which progressed to 5 times day sneezing and abrupt and nearly constant (every day, multiple times/day) runny clear watery nose. I recently was diagnosed with herpes simplex 2 (oct 2016) - a virus and wondered if possible my body is trying to flush it out same as a viral winter cold. I asked my doctor and she said though she has heard of this association, she's never seen it and knows nothing about it. She recommended Flonase or other meds. I just found a sinus herbal med made by BosMed. Started trying it the other day. Not sure yet but it seems to help.

I also have had a couple missed periods in last 2 yrs and periods lighter for 2 years. But stress has also been thru the roof higher than ever in my life.
I cry almost at the drop of a hat. - hormonal? I work a factory job where I have too much time to think and get sad about my troubled life.