My sister is eight weeks pregnant and throwing up all day long. She has trouble holding anything she eats down. I am feeling so sorry for her. I heard that there was some medication on the market to help with extreme morning sickness, but are there any herbs perhaps? I am sure that medication during pregnancy is not the best idea ever.

You’re absolutely right, except for a few very rare cases there is no need for either medical intervention or any medication for morning sickness, mainly because it stops in second trimester of pregnancy. But, there are still few ways for her to go through it a little bit easier. Most common herbal remedy for morning sickness is ginger supplement, but it should be taken only as directed because there were no reliable studies to confirm that it doesn’t cause any problems for the baby. Absolutely safe methods for relieving morning sickness would be to choose foods carefully and to snack often. Fresh air, plenty of fluids and avoiding smells or anything else that might trigger sickness also help a lot.