Hello, there. My aunt is constantly bothering me with alternative medicine and offers me various herbal tea remedies. I think that she is exaggerating a little, but I would like to know what these remedies are used for. Perhaps my aunt is right. Thanks in advance for all your replies. Bye, guys!

Hi, there. You should listen to your aunt a little more. Chinese, for instance, divide energy into cold, cool, warm and hot. Illness is also regarded as cold or hot, so the herbs that have opposite characteristics can cure them. Dried ginger or cinnamon have a warm energy and they treat cold diseases like hypotonic conditions, circulation and digestion problems. Chinese divide our organism into 12 internal organs. An internal organ isn't only the organ, but also belonging acupuncture points. Sweet flavor herbs are more for spleen, pancreas and other stomach “meridians”. Spicy flavor is more for lungs and intestinal problems. Sour flavor herbs are for liver and gall bladder meridians. Salty ones are for kidney and adrenal conditions. And the list goes on...

Herbal teas can be drunk as stimulants or as relaxants. Ginger tea is drunk to settle the stomach or even for congestion in the chest. Some herbal trees are believed to have anti-cancer properties and are especially good for gastric, esophageal and skin cancers. They may even help in lowering cholesterol.Some herbal tea remedies can be toxic or cause allergies. For example, comfrey could cause permanent liver damage when used in excess. Lobelia is supposed to have the same addictive effects as nicotine. Pineapple weed is sometimes passed off as chamomile and can cause reactions to those who suffer from hay fever.Strawberry leaf, lemon grass leaf, nettle leaf, alfalfa, fennel seed, rosehips, and lemon verbena are thought to be safe; though, always check with an herbalist and your physician before consumption. Also, it is important to take extra precautions before drinking herbal tea during pregnancy. Talk with your physician and read the labels on the packs carefully before you buy.