I am a 22 y/o Female a little overweight. Recently I have been getting more concerned about my pulse and BP. My BP is usually in the lower 90's/ upper 50's-60's with my pulse being upper 80's to 115 at rest. I am worried I may have a heart condition.

Hi there

I've suffered from something very similar myself for several years, mine is due to tablets I take (Amitrypyline, a pain-numbing/sleep assisting anti-depressant) and thin blood due to another tablet which causes my liver function and clotting factors to be abnormal.

I usually go sit against a wall with my legs up and breath in slowly and then out even more slowly. This causes the blood to have to pump up to your legs and sort of levels it all out. Of course, gettin back up slowly is the main point, so it doesn't start again.

Its, as far as I know, to do with the low blood pressure. If you sit still, lie on a bed or have a hot bath your blood pressure will drop further (because you're resting) and so to keep it a sensible rate your heart beat pulses faster and it definitely feels unpleasant but isn't strictly life threatening but if you are worried, ask your doctor to give you an EKG and a blood pressure check. It might be worth using one of those cheap blood pressure monitors that can record the condition over a day so you could show him how it changes, because I myself had problems because whenever I was in the doctors, my blood pressure would elevate slightly (due to the worrying) and therefore it seemed normal.

Low blood pressure is usually always a good thing to have, but the feeling of a racing pulse that you can't control isn't going to help it settle down! Try the legs higher than the head trick, it works for me.

Here's a good page of information from NHS direct about low blood pressure:

nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=490&sectionId=31134

Low BP and high pulse might be also a sign of diabetis.