My 34yr old husband has Crohn's disease. He had a colon resection completed on 10/31/06. He is the perfect weight and health for his height. He has never had high blood pressure in the past. Ever since the surgery his blood pressure has been 150's over 105. Docs have been trying different meds to control, but nothing seems to be working. I am more concerned with the fact that no one seems to know WHY he is having the high blood pressure. Literally, after the surgery it shot up and stayed there. I really would like to believe that the surgery had something to do with it. Is there any info you can give me or cases where this has occured? I am really worried about him having a stroke or other problems.

I AM HAVING SAME PROBLEM

I had my colon removed 5 months ago and i have been having BP problems ever since. When i stand up my BP bottoms out to 70/60 or 80/60 and i get real dizzy and weak, When i sit my BP gets way too high. I saw my colon/rectal dr 2 days ago and he told me not to ask him about my BP to go to my primary dr. It sounds like to me he is trying to sweep it under the rug. I'm worried but i don't know where to turn. I'm sick everyday and i can't go anywhere because if my BP gets too low i start falling. I know this doesn't help you any but i wanted you to know you're not the only one going through this.

I had my colon resection 2 years ago and I am on 2 meds for my high blood pressure and every time I see the doctor he mentions that my blood pressure is high. I really never considered that the surgery could have caused this. I'll keep researching this. Good luck!

I, too, had colon surgery and NOW have high blood pressure! What th'? I'm 65 and have never had high blood pressure until my last check up (one month after being released from the hospital with an ostomy!). My blood pressure used to be on the LOW side. Nurses used to comment on the fact that my blood pressure was always good (and low).

I just had a colon resection on 11/24/14. I had normal blood pressure prior to the surgery and am age 49. Two days after the surgery, my BP shot up to 170/105. They Dr discharged me today and told me it is due to fluid buildup in my body somewhere from the surgery. My ankles and hands are not swollen, just my belly. He told me he suspects the BP will drop back to normal after the fluid depletes. He said he would recheck my BP at my one week appointment post op. But, now I am worried that the colon resection also caused me to have high BP.

My husband has had the same problem.....any answers?

Have you gotten any answer?

I had a colostomy reversal Dec of 2015 and have had high blood pressure (very high) ever since. I understand from my general doctor that they are connected, but the surgeon says it not. My friend had colon surgery and now has low B/P?? I too am very frustrated. If anyone finds an answer, could you please reply. Thank You

Did the doctors ever come to a conclusion regarding his blood pressure? I’m currently having the same issue after my colon resection and I’m having a hard time getting a reason from my doc.