OK.

Who has it?
High Blood Pressure?

Should I worry about having it with my running??

what's up with the HBPs? :? mine has always been around 100/60, i mean forever. i recently had it taken and it was 120/75 which is outta control for me and considering my physical schedule, it's really unheard of, altho they said it's still within normal limits.

have you taken any meds that might affect it? have you checked your resting pulse rate to see if it's high -- this can mean overtraining. i think high sodium levels will cause it to rise as well.

i'd just check with the MD about the running thing. exercise is supposedly prescribed for HBP unless, of course, there is a pre-existing condition that would prevent or limit someone's physical exercise.

Mine has been running in the 140's/80's lately.

I'm going to check what it is this morning and see. I've been having a ton of headaches lately and fluid retention. The high BP was pointed out to me when I was sick and in getting treated for strep throat. Now I cannot get it off my mind.

Ya Sure!! If you are suffering from high blood pressure then you should have some precautionary measure while running or doing some heavy works. Otherwise, there is highly chances that you have face some more sever issues. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I'm usually 110/70 8)

Running should help it. It it is very high, I would see a doc and discuss your diet and exercise program.

140/80 is on the low side of being high (if that makes sense)

If there is a family history, I would keep an eye on it.

You all are great for responding to this. I really am worried. My BP has always been low??? 110's/70's

I'm calling the doctor today to make an appointment. I know my mother has to be on BP meds. It's worrying me.

What about running with it? That's one of my questions.

I don't know what mine is, but it was checked a couple of months ago and it was "normal". The numbers don't mean anything to me, so I've never been able to remember it.

I've got the family history to battle with BP. It creeped up on me recent years though with my running, I've not noticed any effect at all. What I did was get educated. I attended a coronary health seminar....and got control of my BP with diet. It's in the normal range now and I never had to swallow a single med. I truly believe 95% of people can control what happens inside their cardio system simply by what they put in their mouths and the lifestyles they live.

I'm usually 110/70 8) Running should help it. It it is very high, I would see a doc and discuss your diet and exercise program.
Me too, 110/70. I have actually had the opposite problem were it dropped after a lot of physical exertion.

Just got home from the doctor. He did agree that my BP was high and it's been documented on 3 different office visits. I've been put on something for now to see if we can get it under control (nothing so strong that I cannot train). I'm going to have blood work done next week after fasting for a day. Then we'll meet up in 3 weeks. He says I should see a difference in how I feel by Monday or Tuesday. Less headaches...less swelling...etc. He said it might have to do with my not sleeping well (I think it's stress). We'll see.

I've been feeling crappy for weeks now. I just couldn't put my finger on it and always said it had to do with my allergies or lack of caffeine. I'm hoping this can eliminate the headaches and I'll get rid of all that other stuff (allergy meds, caffeine, motrin). I'm willing to work on my diet and try anything to see if I can feel better than I have.

I'm a little worried about training right now. The doctor put me on something that should not affect that at all. Hopefully he's right.

I felt that bad today and think I made the right choice by going in asap. Next week I'll get more results.

Thanks everyone.

Get one of those 24 hour BP checks. They strap it on for 24 hours and itt akes many measurements over the period. Your doc is incompetent if he didnt take this into consideration.

It can be mental. If you are obsessed with it, and get it checked, it can go high. I have the same problem when its taken by a doctor or a nurse. My HR jumps up way up there, my heart pounds very hard. Sure enough, when I check it on a machine by myself at the doc's office it is elevated but within a minute or two it drops to normal. Many people have this kind of a problem that it even has a name. White coat syndrome. I actually trained myself before to take my BP, where I would take my BP on a machine regularly every day. I noticed that as time went by I had less and less elevated readings and soon enough within a few days I never got any elevated readings.

Last time 160/80 taken by doc. 2 minutes later on Machine: 140/80, 135/75, 120/65, 120/67.

Just got home from the doctor. He did agree that my BP was high and it's been documented on 3 different office visits. I've been put on something for now to see if we can get it under control (nothing so strong that I cannot train). I'm going to have blood work done next week after fasting for a day. Then we'll meet up in 3 weeks. He says I should see a difference in how I feel by Monday or Tuesday. Less headaches...less swelling...etc. He said it might have to do with my not sleeping well (I think it's stress). We'll see. I've been feeling crappy for weeks now. I just couldn't put my finger on it and always said it had to do with my allergies or lack of caffeine. I'm hoping this can eliminate the headaches and I'll get rid of all that other stuff (allergy meds, caffeine, motrin). I'm willing to work on my diet and try anything to see if I can feel better than I have. I'm a little worried about training right now. The doctor put me on something that should not affect that at all. Hopefully he's right. I felt that bad today and think I made the right choice by going in asap. Next week I'll get more results. Thanks everyone.
The thing with BP is that it doesnt have any symptoms, so really the symptoms you have may have nothing to do with a high BP at all but another condition altogether. That condition may be jacking up your BP or it may not and the BP may be elevated by your stress at the doc's office. I cant believe he put you on meds without doing a more thorough check up. id ditch this guy, he sounds like a quack.

I see your point, I really do. I sat with my doctor for nearly an hour to discuss this. Like you, I don't want to be put on meds unless absolutely necessary. However, I have been monitoring my BP for a while. Not as extensively as you have recommended, but I have. I really have been dealing with headaches for quite a while and the swelling was starting to get to me. My BP used to be in the 110/70 range and very healthy. As I saw it in the 140/90 range, I got worried (that is high for me). High BP and heart disease does run in my family. They all have been put on meds for a great deal of time. I have just started my marathon training again and wanted to make sure I didn't have a stroke out there. I do push my body at times with some of my runs and it's not impossible to do that. So, bringing the BP down was very important to me. I just took my first dosage and will see how it goes. I'm going to get a full set of blood work done as well. After that, I'm going back to my doctor to discuss all the results...the meds...etc. I'm going to be looking at my diet and limiting my salt intake too. I don't think my doctor is a quack. He seemed very in tune to what I needed to do. He thinks I'd be one of those to monitor it for weeks and still have the same outcome (needing meds). He knows I work out...listen to my body...eat well...stay fit...take care of myself. He also sees that this runs in my family as well. I appreciate your comments though. I really do. :D Can you tell me what one of those monitors cost you??? Thanks.

Just FYI to all, a health BP is supposed to be under 120 systolic and under 80 diastolic. Good for you for being diligent and getting this looked at now. As Cappy mentioned, 140/90 is the beginning of being hypertensive (having high BP) and there are a host of health problems that could come on from having that long term, so looking at it and dealing with it now will help, esp with family history. I hope this is taken care of! Don't stress about it though, I agree with Jinju, just worrying about it will raise your BP. Your doctor's attention is on this now, you're being proactive, these are positive things. Just relax and see what courses of action you can take. Good luck!