HI, I have a had no sex drive for 5 years, each time I would go to the gyno he would say, you have been with the same partner for a while try switching it up. It was really not helpful since my nipples hurt non stop, and sex is very painful and all for him. So this year, I finally got my levels checked, estradiol 29.2, testosterone 15, FSH 5.2. I have been having hot flashes, night sweats, trouble sleeping, and losing hair slowly. Will I be able to have children with these numbers? Is anyone else out there going through this as well? What's the best way to feel like myself again? thanks, Liz

Your ovaries are responsible for producing both testosterone and estrogen and although testosterone is usually viewed as male hormone it is also vital in keeping some processes of the female body. And one of the main things that is the consequence of low testosterone levels is decreased sexual desire. Similar to that, low estrogen levels can occur because of the natural reasons, like after pregnancy or even after extreme exercise or training, but these results could also point out that there is some problem with your ovaries which can be fixed with hormonal treatment. Consult with your gynecologist to start treatment as soon as you can.

Thanks Nikols, my gyno called and said that these levels are normal, estradiol should be between 20-750, and testosterone 2-45, I find these ranges off from what I have seen online, and from how I am feeling. Also he recommended a psychologist, am I off here, or is it my HMO just being cheap? I live in a very remote area, do you know a good endocrinologist, that would take a phone consultation, even if my insurance doesn't cover it I'd be okay? :-) Liz

Hi Elizabeth,

I don't think you need a psychologist or anything.  You say you have pain during sex. That will kill any desire for sex.  You say sex all for him.  That kills desire also.  When sex isn't painful and/or sex is also mutually satisfying for a woman and a man cares for a woman's response, a woman WILL want sex. 

Your levels are fine.  There is no set testosterone levels for women of any ages.  And women with alot less or no are fully capable of desiring sex.  It all begins in the brain, whether male or female.

I hope your issues have improved. Whether still with that partner or not.

As for your 'doctor'... I hope you sought another one who doesn't give the usual 'women need a psycho' response.  He should've really said that your partner needs to go to a sex therapist so HE will understand why HE is the real reason to the issue at hand.

I also say, stay away from hormones unless you need to regulate menstrual cycles!!  As long as you cycle on a regular basis, that will show your levels are on the normal side.  There are alot more cons than there are pros taking meds of any kind.

Best wishes!