My son is 14 and he was diagnosed with testosterone deficiency some time ago. I am worried about him, and not knowing a lot about his condition makes it even worse. Can you tell me more details about it?

Testosterone is the androgenic hormone responsible for normal growth and development of male sex and reproductive organs (the penis, testicles, scrotum, prostate, and seminal vesicles). Normal testosterone levels maintain energy level, healthy mood, fertility, and sexual desire. Testosterone deficiency is called hypogonadism and can be present at birth or may develop later. The most common congenital cause is Klinefelter's syndrome and this condition is caused by an extra X chromosome. It results in infertility, sparse facial and body hair, abnormal breast enlargement (called gynecomastia) and small testes. Signs depend on the age of onset and the duration of hormonal deficiency, and based on your son's age, he has acquired deficiency. Acquired testosterone deficiency develops near puberty and it can result in gynecomastia, sparse or absent pubic and body hair, underdeveloped penis, testes and muscle. Treatment involves hormone replacement therapy and the method of delivery is determined by age and duration of deficiency. I advise you to talk to your son's doctor about his condition because he knows more about his particular case.