I was wondering during early pregnancy(first trimester) what is the position of the cervix supposed to be? Is the opening of the cervix supposed to expand or open? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you. :D

Your cervix should be high and closed (unless it is not your first pregnancy, then it will remain open)

It will always be closed if you are pregnant...even if you have already had children your cervix will be closed though it may FEEL open it will not be. Seriously if it is open and you are pregnant then you will miscarry.

However, your cervix should rise if pregnant and become softer.
If not pregnant it should be relatively low and firm (though you can be pregnant and it be low and firm). It must be said that if pregnant not every woman's cervix will change positions at the same rate. Some women will experience their cervical changes earlier than others. Some changing before AF and others weeks or months after AF is due. So just because your cervix is low and firm doesn't necessarily mean you are not pregnant. Your cervixs is high, open, soft and wet during ovulation. After ovulation it returns to a low, closed, firm and dry position. It will stay like that until after AF (unless pregnant...though like I said before if pregnant you might not always see a cervical change).

This is my first month TTC and I just started tracking my cervical position. I personally think I conceived :D but still a little bit nervous I didn't! Right after ovulation I noticed my cervix was low, and now it is 5 days til AF is due and my cervix is high I can only touch it with the tip of my fingers!!! Does this mean that my chances of conception are pretty high??? I have had a few distinct symptoms like extra discharge (sorry TMI) but that is not normal for me! Any advice would really help, I am going crazy in the TTW pool :cry: LOL Thank you very much for the help and good luck to those TTC... baby dust to all!

You will not miscarry if your cervix is open. Your cervix should go high, soft and closed. But it's different in all women when the change to your cervix will happen. Sometimes it happens straight away, but sometimes it doesn't happen until long after the pregnancy has been confirmed.

ok heres my situation.. 2yrs ago i had my daughter and got my tubes cut and tied or well i think they did. back at that time i was talking to a psychic and she told he that she does not seen them disconnected and that i am supposed to give birth to, conceive or find out about another baby this coming month(aug). well i had my period on july 11th of last month and am supposed to have it again on august 5th. For the last few day (28-30 and on) I have been spotting and clotting some and i was wondering if anyone can tell me why. I have some symptoms of being pregnant such as sore and enlarged boobs and tired and so on.so can someone please tell me what is going on? I have not taken a hpt yet but if you think i should i will and i will let you know

Don't be a prude, it is a conversation and conversation bring in other topics so chill out. >;)

It would be useful if someone could respond though, instead of question after question.

I just wanted to post in response to the question regarding if your cervix is open what does it mean. One of the members posted that if your cervix is open that it means you will miscarry!!! This is NOT true and before posting such drastic information on a site like this resources should really be checked. I have been a Labor & Delvery nurse for 7 years and many moms experience cervical changes that do not mean loss of pregnancy. FOr example second time mom's typically tend to walk around at 2cm for most of their pregnancy...this an be totally normal providing you are not in labor and continuing cervical change. Also in the event of premature dilation your Obstetrician can offer options in the event of threatened loss...it is called a cerclage. This is a stitch that is placed in the cervix to hold it in place and prevent dilation until it is time to deliver. I really think this site is excellent for sharing information and for offering support. However I strongly recommend when offering information that is going to be greatly upsetting to someone...please only do so if you are qualified to share these facts.

? I was just wondering. I have been on lupron for 6mths due to endometriosis. My doctor then put me on medicine so i could have a period and start trying to get pregnant. I have a normal period on Feb 3 but I was supposed to start today and nothing. I have been feeling pregnant exhausted, breasts larger, etc. Plus we had sex on all the days that i was ovulating. My cervix went from high and soft back down to low and hard and now back to high and soft. I took a pregnancy test, it came back negative. I feel like im pregnant and i dont see my doctor till the end of the mth. So i was wondering if anyone could help me or give me some advice till then. Thanks

hi..i am 23 weeks pregnant and found out last week from my doctor that my cervix is 2.4cm whereby the average should be 3cm..i have been put on bed rest for 4 weeks to monitor the situation..could someone share their experience or information on this as i am really scared i might miscarry as this is my first baby..also does a person with small built/frame have different size cervix? just wondering..please respond :-(

You need to get your facts straight lady.. It FEELS open but is not open because if it were open it could in fact cause a miscarriage or even may cause the uterus to become infected. it may be true that a woman's cervix feels open but it most certainly is not open as this would be a health hazard to both the mother and child as the uterus is an area that does not have white blood cells so it does not fight off infection. It doesnt matter whether youre a nurse or not. Your facts are wrong and anyone who disagrees should look up what would happen if a woman's cervix were open during pregnancy.

There really is not a way to get pregnant after the proceedure is performed, if your tubes were actually cut. However, if you had sex prior to the surgery, it was possible that you were pregnant before the proceedure was performed. This has occured with patients in the past (rare for it to get past the physician though). I would encourage you to take a pregnancy test if you think you are pregnant and immediately follow up with your OBGYN if it is positive.

i found out that i was pregnant on the first week of june... always dizzy and sick in the morning...sooo ive gone to my ob 4 some pregnancy test and ultrasound to make sure that im pregnant and found out that im positive...the bby in my tummy is diagnose as 4 wks old...i dont know what had happened the next wk as i see some blood spots in my undies...i just observed...then that blood spots just come evry other day...so,i went back to my ob to check if its ok to have some dscharge...ultrasound again and im 5wks pegnant but the ob said that there is no viability yet even if my cervix is closed...they advised me to have a full diet coz the baby is small...its just 1.3 cm x 1.4...i was so shocked but wanted the baby so i ate well.and i have to have a ff up after 10 days.....i have 2 kids and 2 niece living with us so im always tired at the afternoon as we arrive home...at july 24,i started bleeding every afternoon...which confuse me bcoz i dnt bleed at night and in the mornig...after that,i just observed myself again...until the day comes to see my ob again but...i havnt gone to her becoz i was so bc that day...as i got home that july 29,i felt an intense stomach cramps and i cant walk...it really hurts ...then my husband rush me to the hospital as i saw a big blod clot in my pads...they admitted me in the hospital for a bed rest to save my baby...but the bleeding just gets on and on everyday...ive been in the hospital for 65 days when i had my ultrasound again...and found out that i was 9wks pregnant and theres no trace of the baby anymore...my cervix is still closed but i have miscarried my baby... :-(

.