my husband and I have been trying to become pregnant this last month. I tested positive this week. I had my dr. give me a blood test to make sure. I was informed that my blood levels are low and should be going up with a healthy pregnancy. I am very concerned now. I an to be retested this week. The nurse informed me this could possibly mean I have or will lose the baby, which I have not had any bleeding or heavy cramping, or that I will have a poor pregnancy. This is not my first child. I had my first 1 year ago. it was a complicated birth, prechlempsia, hemeraging and a blood transfusion.. any idea on what this could all mean or any advice? we have been wanting this baby so bad, I hope all is well and that its nothing serious.. please advise me..

Hi mfalcon,

I also had low blood count during my second pregnancy, my doctor suggested that I take an iron supplement to avoid iron - deficiency anemia. My doctor suggested take two a day one at bed time and the other in the morning. I ended up only taking one a day since I had morning sickness as well and the iron in the morning was making me feel ill and constipation was also a factor. Try eating lots of green/leafy vegetables, lots of salads, broccoli, cucumber even tomatos and onions can bring up your iron levels and they are all healthy for you as well, try eating a good balanced diet and the vitamen supplement each day and everything should be fine. In pregnancy, low blood levels are common they are a little lower than when you are not pregnant. That is because you increase your total blood supply quite a bit. The fluid part increases first, and it takes the red blood cells awhile to catch up. So, your blood count level falls and you are usually "anemic" by standards for non-pregnant women. The current thought is that this is probably a good thing. Thinner blood can cross the placenta and get to your baby easier, increasing the oxygen and nutrients he or she receives. However, if your blood levels drop too low, it's not so good. red blood cells need iron to carry oxygen around your body, so if you are iron-deficient, you will have "iron-deficiency anemia." This is probably what your doctor is talking about. Taking a supplement can drastically help, try calling your doctor and ask if he suggests you take it.
My pregnancy went very well despite the iron deficency, I think things will be ok for you as well. Aside from your first pregnancy complications, every pregnancy differs, this one could be the best pregnancy you ever could have. Don't stress out too much as that is just as damaging to the baby as you think low blood levels are.

Best of luck!

Melissa

Are you talking about low blood levels of iron, or of pregnancy hormone? Low pregnancy hormone for gestational age could indicate problems with the pregnancy. It is hard to tell if there is a problem from just one test, it does need to be repeated to make sure the levels of pregnancy hormones are increasing. Good luck

i had a blood test last week and results showed i was preg still.. had another yesterday and doc told me the results were lower than they expect, now he has arranged for me to have a scan in the morning to see what is going on as i have now had spotting for two weeks but no pain plus doc felt my tummy earlier and there was no pain either.. he told me it might be miscarriage but he said he has had patients the same as i am and had healthy pregnancies so not sure if im coming or going at the moment :-(

I had a blood test on Friday and my hormone level was 14 not on Monday it decreased to 10! I am worried because they tell me i am going to miscarry??? I am confused so they are making me do more test and ultrasounds....Does this happen all the time can your hormone level increase after it drops a bit! I am barley 2 weeks is this normal.

I would really like to know ur outcome. The same is happening to me. I went to the doctor's on Friday and today, Monday, and from then to today my hcg level went down. Now, I have had some bleeding, not that much. I notcie the bit of blood when I clean myself, it is a brownish color and light ( sorry TMI).
I hope everything is going well with u and ur baby.

Hi, I'm 20 Years Old. I'm Kinda Having The Same Problem As Some. My Last Period Was Sept. 9, 2010. I Had Sex 2 Weeks After This Date (My Periods Has Always Been Irregular) And Again Oct. 4th. Didn't Have Another Period This Month Until The. 22nd-24th But I Was Just Spotting. Then It Was Pink For 2 Days On Nov. 3rd And 4th. Had Some Cramping And Migraines But No Symptoms Of Pregnancy. Went To The Doctors And They Said My Blood Test Was Low.. What Does This Mean.? They Only Took It To See If The First Test Was High In Hcg Then Told Me I'm Goin To Take It Again And If It's Lower Than The 1st Then I May Be Miscarrying.. All My Urine Tests Has Been Negative. Can I Be Pregnant Or No.?

Hello I just found out I was pregnant last week, And A week later which is Now I have been bleeding for 2 days Not heavy But like a Light Cycle, I went to the hospital and they did an ultrasound and Said they didn't see no signs of a baby in there and my blood count was Low, does this mean my baby is in my tubes or Im having a miscarriage or hopefully it's to early I have 1 child and I had her with no complications! I just don't understand