My younger brother is diabetic and recently he develop some skin changes, got diagnose of lupus, so I want to know can this disease make complications of diabetes and in which form. Is this combination of lupus and diabetes hazardous for my brother's health or it can be controlled by certain drugs?

Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease and depending of clinical manifestation and stage of disease different kind of therapy is used. In severe cases, it can be treated with drug called corticosteroids. Long-term use of this category of drugs can cause diabetes, which have to be treated with drugs usually using for other kinds of diabetes.

Lupus is an autoimmune disease, which means that the body creates antibodies which attack its own tissues. Diabetes can be caused if the body is producing antibodies which attack the patient's insulin receptors. This is commonly the link when a patient has both diabetes and lupus.

Theoretically speaking, there's no certain connection between diabetes and lupus.

As for the severity of developing both diseases, it can be dangerous. I am not sure if you know that, active lupus can be fatal and need intensive care and treatments. If you are interested in the details, contact me with Emails. I will provide you some materials which may be helpful to you.

My friend is 40 and severly diabetic. Her kidneys were spilling protien and was just diagnosed with moderate lupus. She crying and I cant help. She is scared for her young son who may grow up without his mother..

hello

I'm 25years and i'm frrench

i m diabetic since 20years and i have a lupus recently diagnosed

i think that there is a link between diabete and lupus ! but what is it?

I also have both Diabetes and Lupus. The Diabetes came first for me. The most difficult thing for me is that most often with the combination of the two diseases, it is difficult to treat a flair with corticosteroids, which tend to raise blood sugars for days or weeks at a time.

Hi I have lupus sle fibromaylia,and now dibectics I would like to no more if you don't mind thanks julie

My girlfriend was just diagnosed with Lupus last week. She is already a type 2 diabetic, and is taking 40mg of insulin x2 daily... please send me more information so i can send to her and help her understand what is going on and what she can do... she is worried sick tonight about what she has already read in regards to being diagnosed with the two. It is scary for both of us. Thank you,
kristin 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

my husband has type 2 diabetes. Was diagnosed in his 50s. Diagnosed with lupus in 2008 when he was 68. He is now 76. He has infusion of Benlysta every 4 weeks, which has made a huge difference in his lupus flares. He is doing great. If her insurance will not cover the infusions, contact the drug company, and they may cover it. She should be seeing a Rheumatologist.

i have type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed with lupus after a biopsy. skin became dark is this safe

I have skin lupus and Turner lupus and on July 14 2017 I was told I had diabetes so they put me on a a diabetes Med is this going to hurt me or kill me

My wife was just diagnosed with Lupus. We don't know what type it is. We were told there are three types of lupuses. She started loosing some hair around six months age. She will be seeing a Reumathologist in two weeks. We just don't know what to ask the doctors. Your tips will be appreciated.

kindly send the materials to me please

I developed what I we later told was a butterfly rash on my face arms and abdomen when I was very young. I got diagnosed with lupus. Five years later after becoming very I'll I was diagnosed with diabetes. It's been twenty years and I have almost no symptoms of lupus. The diabetes is more of a problem for me