I have 32 years and am suppose to go get some fun regarding New Year’s party and I guess there will be much alcohol around. But my problem is that I have lupus I just got out of one lupus flare and need to know if drinking alcohol has some lupus impact?

Yes it has. I also have lupus and I’m positive on bad effect that alcohol has on lupus in fact alcohol may trigger lupus flares. Anyway you may have fun even without drinking alcohol. I’m sure if you drink too much alcohol it will cause you a new lupus flare and remember its not pleasant experience. You actually have to try to change whole your lifestyle in order to minimize these flares or at least to minimize its symptoms. So you should also avoid drinking too much coffee avoid eating junkie food and too much sweets. There’re also some other self-help steps you may take over in order to reduce the symptoms of lupus and to avoid possible flares. I can tell you that doing exercise is the best thing you may do for yourself regarding the condition you’re in but never overreact with exercising just do it slowly and whenever you do some hard work try to get rest because it’s a good way for avoiding flare ups and don’t put yourself in stressful situations for the stress is one of the most common flare ups triggers. Anyway just try to exercise regularly for this would reduce your stress also. And try to spend New Year’s Eve without drinking too much alcohol otherwise you risk getting new flare.

I drink alcohol regularly - sometimes more than I should. Has never triggered a flare-up. If you have actual info about Alcohol triggering flare-ups - please supply. Otherwise don't just make problems up. Sounds like you advise people to avoid everything.

^^^^ true that.

I have had lupus for ten years and alcohol has NEVER triggered a flare up. I treat myself one night a week usually friday or saturday and nothing effects me. Remember....we may be sick but we are all different and experience our illnesses differently.

I wouldn't advise that drinking is good either. If may not cause a flare for some, but you also have to make sure it doesn't affect your medications.

Best advise to give ask your doctor...

i believe lupus affects evryone differently, alcohol may cause a flare up in some, and some it may not. i am 18 years old and i have lupus. i was diagnosed when i was 17. i found out that when i drink alcohol it makes the lupus worse. i drank for 3 night in a row. come the fourth day i had ulcers on the insides of both my top and bottom lips. not to mention that i could barely move. if you have never had a flare up form drinking than good for you. but i know how it affects me. although im not of age to drink n i probably shouldnt.

i was diagnosed with sle about 4 years ago, doctors have never in this time told me to lay off alcohol. however i like to drink every weekend, and i can tell you that i feel absolutely awful the next day, in fact the next couple of days. i,m due a hospital visit today, and i shall be asking my consultant his views. :P

I'm a 42 yr old woman , I was told that I had lupus at the age of 14yr old. I've been doing a little study on my self and I noticed, that beer starts my flare ups. I don't drink very often nor do I drink much . One beer can bring on my flare ups.

I was diagnosed with lupus a few months ago. My pains are incredible and most of the time I dont sleep and need help doing a lot of things. xmas in PR involves a lot of alcohol and so I had my share... and it just made me worse. Yesterday I was feeling GREAT!, last nite my neighbor handed me a beer... i didnt sleep and had a terrible day today.

I came across this discussion looking to see if I was right about alcohol making my symptoms worse.. I guess I was right. So time to look for other ways to have fun. Good luck!

I was diagnosed with lupus over 10 years ago and alcohol does affect you if you have lupus. I'm 39 years old and I can promise you that if even if you don't "feel" super bad after drinking, it's still doing damage. My functional neurologist said that alcohol causes damage on a cellular level to EVERYONE. This is bad if you have lupus because alcohol is broken down in the liver and processed in the kidneys. Just FYI, if you ever need a kidney transplant you will be lower on the list because you have consumed alcohol, it can also preclude you from doing studies that may help treat your lupus. Lastly, alcohol reacts with many of the medications you have to take to control your lupus. You are doing a grave disservice to your body if you consume alcohol.

Alcohol affects your liver, kidneys, heart and muscles leaving them more susceptible to damage caused by your own immune system. Alcohol also interact with medications. Alcohol can change the way the body uses, or metabolizes, certain medications. Alcohol is absorbed through the intestinal tract and shuttled to the liver, where chemical "knives" called enzymes break it into smaller molecules. Trouble is, alcohol causes the body to make more of these enzymes, especially when someone drinks regularly (even so-called "social" amounts of alcohol). Some of these enzymes are the same "knives" that break down medications so the body can use them. In producing more enzymes, the liver metabolizes medications faster. The bottom line: medications are sent into the bloodstream much faster and to a larger extent than when you don't drink. This can be dangerous, intensifying both the positive and negative side-effects of medications.

It is a myth that you can avoid these alcohol medication side-effects by taking medications while you are not drinking: the liver is still in "over-drive," producing more of these enzymes for some time after you drink. Another myth: "You have to drink hard liquor to suffer dangerous consequences." Beer and wine are just as likely to cause problems.

Of the 50 most frequently proscribed drugs, more than half contain ingredients that react adversely with alcohol. Among the negative effects are seizures, headaches, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion and coma. Don't forget that medications that are available without a prescription can also react adversely with alcohol. People with lupus, for example, often take Tylenol to alleviate pain. Drinking any amount of alcohol can cause Tylenol to be toxic to the liver at much smaller doses. Alcohol mixed with aspirin can lead to bleeding in the stomach. If you are taking methotrexate or other immunosuppressive medications, drinking greatly increases the chance that you will suffer liver damage. .

yes yes yes.......dont go there..............please.

Lupus affects us all differently. I was diagnosed with sle at 38. I drink probably more than I should but I have been in remission for a year now. I do a 24 hour juice detox every weekend. I eat only organic foods, mostly raw foods and little meat and dairy. I juice also on a regular basis. I have not taken my Plaquenil in months and I still feel great. I am in no way suggesting that others do what I do because again, it affects us all differently. I drink and smoke regularly (would love to quit both) but until I do, I will continue to detox eat healthy and juice....it's worked for me thus far!

I really don t think this person is making  things up ,see I have lupus and as we all know people with this all have diifferent  things happen to them.I work out in the gym all the time ,run ect. I use to be able to drink like a fish but for some reason  along the way when I drink beer or a lot I flare up and it hurts. It might be that you never do that would be great but always keep your eyes and mind open to the changes in your body because,things change in us all the time . One thing I do read a lot on is the liver we do have a very big chance of hurting the live ,I mean if that dont open your eyes .We only have one and with out it we die.I mean don t get me wrong I do drink 1 two 2 glasses of wine that is what works for me now. Alcohol has yest in sugar in it i mean with people with out lupus swell up so put 2 and 2 together it can happen for people worse with lupus ,and believe me I live my life with lots of fun I juice a lot and changed a lot of my eating I use pink sea salt I mean I am going to live for a long time.I Feel you don t have to give up every thing but you are not the same as everyone and we must put change into are life,s .

Liked your answer. What about Lupus and the effects on blood alcohol levels? Do you have any info?