I have been on metoprolol for 9 weeks and at one stage was prescribed 150mg twice a day. I`m now on 100mg twice day. I take this together with varapamil, zestoretic, lipitor,warfarin. I take my blood pressure regular and have shown the specialist readings varying from 145/90 to 135/115. Sometimes my heart rate is 65 sometimes 110. (I have atrial fib.) My specialists doesn`t seemed alarmed that my blood pressure is so high and continues to subscribe metoprolol which not lowering my blood pressure. I do not understand why he is not alarmed because I am. I`m not sure what to do?

As far as I know atrial fibr. occurs when someone has high blood pressure for a very long time. I am no doctor but I reckon it should go down. Have you asked your doctor about why isnt’t he changing the drug? It should have started working by now.

It is known that not all hypertension drugs would work for everyone. It may take quite some time before you find one that suits you and does the work.

Maybe you doctor’s choosing this drug because this one wouldn’t interact with the other medications you are taking.

I reckon that you should ask him/her everything you would like to know and inform him that your blood pressure is persistently high and ask for explanation for his treatment.

If you think something’s not right, you may seek another professional opinion.

Thank you so much for responding to my post. I will be seeing my specialist this week so I will ask him as to why he isn`t changing the drug.
He is a very difficult man to interact with and very intimidating. Not so easy to change to another specialist, I am in Canada and I have to have my doctors permission. Thanks again.

quote="simone"]As far as I know atrial fibr. occurs when someone has high blood pressure for a very long time. I am no doctor but I reckon it should go down. Have you asked your doctor about why isnt’t he changing the drug? It should have started working by now.

I don't think you can get an accurate b.p. reading when you're in a-fib. ask your dr. to take your b.p. twice about 15 minutes a part, bet you get different reading. I too have a-fib. and high b.p. and take 100 mg. Metoprolol twice daily along with 10 mg. Altace twice daily, I also take Warfarin and Lipitor. Trouble with getting different opinions with dr's. is that if you ask 10 of them, you'll probably get 10 different opinions with a good percentage disagreeing with the other, very frustrating. Keep smiling.