Hi all,

I was wondering if alcohol has an effect on blood pressure. My blood pressure has been usually low to normal, but recently it has been a little higher. Could a night of heavy drinking make your blood pressure higher the following day - especially in the morning? Also I made a promise with my husband that we would stop drinking - we used to drink every night of the week. We have been heavy evening drinkers for 12-13 yrs. Does alcohol withdrawal symptoms take time to get over and will my blood pressure finally normalize. It goes up and down a lot now. Thank you all so much for your help.

Meaw :)

Alcohol does in fact affect your blood pressure by making it higher and sometimes to dangerous levels! I am a recovering alcoholic and the only time my blood shot up was when I was drinking or in alcohol withdrawal! Going thru alcohol withdrawal is dangerous and should be done inpatient so that it is medically supervised! It takes about 3-5 days to start feeling human again, but everyone is different, so you may feel differently. Someone who has been a long term drinker and has the DT's when they do NOT drink, are at risk for seizures and even death. If you feel that you have been drinking regularly (daily) and have to have a "hair of the dog" the next day to get going or you will go into DT's or withdrawals, then you should seek medical help IMMEDIATELY!!! I seized up and fractured my head and lost my ability to speak for months from alcohol withdrawal..thank god I was already in the hospital when it happened! BTW, my blood pressure when I went to the hospital was about 210/140..that is crazy high and I could have easily stroked over that! Please, IMO..seek professional medical help ASAP!!!

Thank you so much for your reply. This is day 3 without alcohol and my blood pressure is still on the high side (more in the morning). It never went as high as what you experienced. I've quite in the past with no major issues and I am hoping I will have no major issues this time around. My blood pressure goes from about 130's/90's the highest and it has gone in the low range like 105/80. So it's been up and down. Do you know when blood pressure returns to normal? Is it after the 3-5 days of withdrawal you mentioned? Thanks again and I wish you all the best.

Meaw5 wrote:

Opiatefreeme wrote:

It will gradually return to normal, as for how long..everyone is different but I would say after 3-5 days you should see a change in it, but don't freak out if it isn't back to normal..give it a chance! Good Luck and your very welcome!

Thanks again. It seems that my blood pressure has finally returned to normal. I hope it stays that way. I really don't want to go on blood pressure medication - I'm only 38 yrs. old. I know it's not that young, but when you think of high blood pressure you think of being much older. I am staying strong and not drinking heavily everyday. It's a bit of a struggle, but I have to stay strong.

Take care and I wish you all the best, as well.

I am right with you on staying strong and just take it a day at a time! I am a recovering alcoholic/addict and I SWEAR TO GOD, that coming off and staying sober from alcohol is (at least for me) way harder than opiates, smoking,etc....and was a huge part of my declining health! I am glad to hear your doing well! Stay Strong....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Thank you so much for your support - it really means a lot. Whenever you need to talk or have one of "those" days - please feel free to message me any time.

Take care.:O 

Hi my boyfriend is in rehab as we speak..he calls me and tells me his blood pressure was 100/160 and that's really high.He was drinking alcohol almost everday..and about once or twice a month he would smoke crack cocaine..but he was more a alcoholic. He went to the emergency room and they told him that comes with withdrawel didn't check his heart or anything. So really I just want to kno is the alcohol rehab making his bloodpressure so high..meaning by him not having anything to drink about 2 weeks his blood pressure has been thru the roof and hes not having a headache, dizziness or anything.

Your blood pressure will go down but will take sometime. You have been drinking 12 - 13 years now, so don't expect a miracle in just 3 days. See your alcohol withdrawal process in 3 phases. First is the acute withdraw where you would experience a spike in blood pressure. Most people make the mistake stopping at once. Do not quit drinking at once. Lower your alcohol consumption steadily. It will take up to a month or so. Mine took up to a month with steady monitoring. I was also using the blood pressure calculator online to monitor my blood pressure at home.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use